The Call for Opposition: Challenging the P2P and IOM Processes
In our second article on how to react to the publication of the draft P2P report, Gabby Klein provides her view of why she and a large group of advocates and patients are continuing their protest of the government’s ongoing control and manipulation of our disease via their processes...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Long-chain acylcarnitine deficiency in CFS. Potential involvement of altered carnitin

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TheMoonIsBlue

TheMoonIsBlue Senior Member

I was looking up what Carnitine supplements Thorne Research offers (they're one of my fav. brands) there were a few, but one thing caught my eye:

Acetyl-L-Carnitine (Carnityl, brand name) "............Other studies have shown ALC may be of benefit for maintaining a positive mood in the elderly, possibly by partially inhibiting the activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and lowering chronically elevated cortisol levels (which become elevated during stressful situations).*

This may be something to be aware of if a person has chronically LOW cortisol levels.

On the other hand, another product they have which is just called L-Carnitine, it says nothing about lowering Cortisol levels.

So does Acetyl-L-Carnitine act differently than just L-Carnitine in this way, affecting Cortisol?

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

FWIW, not sure I recall talk about carnitine and cortisol. That statement doesn't look very definite. Possibly best to look at scientific research if anyone has time.
    I don't have time to look through the PubMed results for cortisol carnitine.
    One I see is:
    but I only looked at two.

3. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    glenp have you tried supplements plus.I have l-carnitine so I know we can get it here in Canada.

4. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Thank you Chris - I am going to ask my doctor for a prescription rather then taking the undated product that am able to get here

Just a reminder to everyone, there are various forms of carnitine- the one I and Chris mentioned is Acetyl-l-carnitine - now available as Chris mentioned with a prescription in Canada -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-M74lgldVw

Side effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBzhWjA0YaI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

5. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Sorry for bringing it up - but I wondered: How/Where can I buy a supplement that would include the ingredients that they found to be deficient in ME/CFS patients, like Oleyl-L-Carnitine and Linoleyl-L-Carnitine, as opposed to L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine, which, in their study, were not downregulated?

If someone has an answer, I'd be glad to hear (or read...) it :D

See more popular forum discussions.