1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Long-chain acylcarnitine deficiency in CFS. Potential involvement of altered carnitin

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TheMoonIsBlue

TheMoonIsBlue Senior Member

I was looking up what Carnitine supplements Thorne Research offers (they're one of my fav. brands) there were a few, but one thing caught my eye:

Acetyl-L-Carnitine (Carnityl, brand name) "............Other studies have shown ALC may be of benefit for maintaining a positive mood in the elderly, possibly by partially inhibiting the activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and lowering chronically elevated cortisol levels (which become elevated during stressful situations).*

This may be something to be aware of if a person has chronically LOW cortisol levels.

On the other hand, another product they have which is just called L-Carnitine, it says nothing about lowering Cortisol levels.

So does Acetyl-L-Carnitine act differently than just L-Carnitine in this way, affecting Cortisol?
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

FWIW, not sure I recall talk about carnitine and cortisol. That statement doesn't look very definite. Possibly best to look at scientific research if anyone has time.
    I don't have time to look through the PubMed results for cortisol carnitine.
    One I see is:
    but I only looked at two.
  3. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    glenp have you tried supplements plus.I have l-carnitine so I know we can get it here in Canada.
  4. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Thank you Chris - I am going to ask my doctor for a prescription rather then taking the undated product that am able to get here

Just a reminder to everyone, there are various forms of carnitine- the one I and Chris mentioned is Acetyl-l-carnitine - now available as Chris mentioned with a prescription in Canada -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-M74lgldVw

Side effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBzhWjA0YaI&NR=1&feature=fvwp
  5. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Sorry for bringing it up - but I wondered: How/Where can I buy a supplement that would include the ingredients that they found to be deficient in ME/CFS patients, like Oleyl-L-Carnitine and Linoleyl-L-Carnitine, as opposed to L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine, which, in their study, were not downregulated?

If someone has an answer, I'd be glad to hear (or read...) it :D

See more popular forum discussions.