Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Long article on scientific publishing in The Guardian

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by ladycatlover, Jun 27, 2017.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member

Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science?
    It is an industry like no other, with profit margins to rival Google – and it was created by one of Britain’s most notorious tycoons: Robert Maxwell. By Stephen Buranyi

https://www.theguardian.com/science...usiness-scientific-publishing-bad-for-science

Hope I've put this in the right forum!

I thought people here might be interested in this. I never knew Robert Maxwell was so involved in scientific publishing.

Demepivo, alex3619, Manganus and 8 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yes.

ladycatlover likes this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Saw this recently on twitter

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member

Not sure this is the place to share this, but here goes anyway!

'Exaggerations' threaten public trust in science, says leading statistician
    David Spiegelhalter, president of Royal Statistical Society, says sloppy attitude to statistics leads to misleading claims and draws parallels to rise of fake news

A sloppy attitude towards statistics has led to exaggerated and unjustified claims becoming commonplace in science, according to one of Britain’s most eminent statisticians.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ence-leading-statistician-david-spiegelhalter

Solstice, Demepivo, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I wonder if he knows about PACE, and if that is one of the examples he has in mind.

It's a nice thought.

6. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. Demepivo

Hannah Devlin is the Science Editor of the Guardian if anybody wants to bring up PACE & GETSET as examples of bad science & the publishing jungle

sarah darwins and ladycatlover like this.
  8. Demepivo

Might also be worth contacting Stephen Buranyi who the piece on the publishing racket

ladycatlover likes this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    As president of the Royal Statistical Society David Spiegelhalter should be leading criticism of the national embarassment under his nose that is the PACE trial in the UK, instead of leaving it to David Tuller in the US.

Unfortunately Spiegelhalter works with the Science Media Centre and has spoken up against the harassment of his pal Simon Wessely by borderline psychopathic ME activists. So he's just another Benjamin Goldacre as far as I'm concerned.

10. Demepivo

@TiredSam thanks for that important detail

Might bring it back up on Twitter

ladycatlover and TiredSam like this.
  11. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it was a bunch of Wessely's pals put their names to recently (last year or so?) standing fast with him in the battle against terrorism sorry FOI requests, but I do remember being disappointed to see David Spiegelhalter's name on the list. Anyone remember what it was?

Here is Malcolm Hooper on the SMC and Royal Statistical Society:

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/The-SMC-and-its-campaign-against-MECFS.pdf

12. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    Let's assume that he doesn't!

I'm convinced there are a lot more of misconduct in science than usually understood. (I also fear the misconduct is increasing.) The "star scientist" dr Macchiarini fooled quite a few of my highly educated friends and acquaintances. But for some reason, fraud is not a big theme for journalists. He was more visible in the press as a hero than as a criminal.

Sean and ladycatlover like this.
  13. Demepivo

There is third article in this Guardian mini-series about bad science (via James Coyne tweet)

See more popular forum discussions.