• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Locations Effect Question

Many thanks for your generosity, Lisa. I sent an email.

Interesting difference you noted between Thermopolis and Dubois. Got to wondering and found Thermpolis' elevation is 4,354 while Dubois' elevation is 6,984. Don't know if that means anything as far as pollutants/toxins or wind patterns?

Also don't know how much difference there would be in oil and gas drilling in the areas either, but Hot Springs county where Thermopolis is the county seat sits on a large oil dome with a long history of wells and Dubois is just north of another large deposit where they are proposing to make new wells. The fumes from those wells and the storage areas make some us sick quick!

Susan

Hi Forebearance,

Thanks for the feedback on your reactions in northern Colorado. It's revealing to have a your confirmation on what a few suspected before I moved away from the area. The chemicals used for the forest fires and pine beetles makes a lot of sense too.

LOL about a clothes wringer. I had to google and found a great one that sits on a small wash bucket. Too bad we aren't neighbors. We could share!

Long week of tests last week with probably a few more weeks ahead. I'm beginning to think I have leaky brain. Most things I react to go straight to my head. It's slow going since high reactions take a long time to find an end point (the dosage you stop reacting to at an injection site). My head reaction often doesn't correlate with the skin reaction. The skin may rate a 4 and my head says it's a 10 (0 is the lowest number).

Mostly I'm doing 1/2 days of tests instead of full days because my head takes forever to calm down. I took Wednesday off from tests because lake algae made me sick for about 36 hours. Guess I'll need to be careful around locations with water. Darn. I don't know any lakes that wouldn't be susceptible to problems with algae. Even the lakes in the high country in Colorado have had problems with algae blooms at times.

Still have quite a few molds to test, but I thought I'd give my head a break and test common foods Friday and Saturday. Wrong. Corn and soy aren't my friends. Corn made me short of breath and my throat started closing. Then my head fogged. Soy added to the fun and made my word retrieval disappear. Helps explain why so many supplements and I aren't friends. Citric acid isn't my friend either (it's made from aspergillus). The tester mentioned that a lot of the foods I reacted to were probably because of mold. Pigs are moldy? Must be all that corn they eat!

Did find out that the Austin Air machines all had new filters put into them shortly before I started testing. Definitely have a carbon problem.

Hope all is well for you and wish you a good week.

Susan

slayadragon

Corn and soy are both contaminated with Roundup. Roundup causes dysbiosis of the soil, killing off good bacteria and letting the toxic mold Fusarium grow like crazy. Fusarium makes trichothecenes. This, I believe, is why all the agricultural areas of the Midwest feel like a moldy building to me.

Try organic corn and organic soy and see if you do better with them. Though unfermented soy is a newfangled food and is increasingly thought to be something to be avoided regardless of whether it's contaminated, due in part to estrogenic effects.

Organic popcorn (especially if popped in coconut oil and topped with good organic butter) feels like a health food to me. Regular corn is generally very toxic though.

Hi Lisa,

Yikes. The connection of Roundup and mold toxicity in agricultural areas is scary. Does anyone know the evolution or changes in Roundup formulas over the last few decades? It does make me wonder if Roundup contributes to the increases in problems with molds (an increase that Erik notes in the first chapter of his writings) or whether is it a primary causative agent.

Another thing I have wondered about is the role of GMO foods. I know little about it except that the modifications increase the amount of lectins in the plant in order to increase the plants resistance to fungi and pests. There are theories that our reactivities also involve our exposures to GMO foods as either playing a role or a causative agent. I.E. our immune system doesn't recognize the GMO as food, but as a foreign intruder.

Such a wicked web it is. There appears to be no one agent to pin down. Just like with a SBS. It's a toxic soup with numerous contributors.

Good question about whether Roundup would play a role in the food test materials. I had assumed that they were pure and the test materials were of the proteins and such in things like corn and soy.

Many thanks for the copy of Erik's writings. I've read the first chapter so far, but will probably be slow in my reading. Especially with more testing this week. As scrambled as my head was last week, I'm not expecting it to be any better this week. Comprehension is truly marginalized when I'm reacting to stuff.

Susan

P.S. Another factor I have wondered about in the increase in mold toxicity cases is the role of the increasing amounts of radio waves. I don't remember where I read about it, but there was a test study on mold growth where one mold culture was exposed to EMFs and the other mold culture was protected from EMFs. The mold cultures exposed to EMFs had a growth rate over 600x greater than the protected mold cultures.

I wonder how it figures into the equation. We are increasingly being bombarded by radio waves and the detrimental effects on human health have been studied since around the 1950s. We are now in the process of switching from 3G systems to 4G systems.

The more I learn about Lyme disease, mold illness, and CFS/ME, the more I find important scientific information is being, at best, ignored and at worst, actively suppressed. Even though all of these groups are trying to be heard, there is a deafness to our warnings and objections.

Forebearance

Good luck with your continuing tests, Susan!
It sounds like a challenging thing to go through.

Yeah, it is really scary how many things can affect the environment. It makes me feel like a real canary in a coal mine to be susceptible to all these environmental toxins.

Forebearance

P.S. That's cool that you found a clothes wringer online!