• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

locating syringes for b12 shots

trickthefox

Hey guys!
Im trying to locate syringes to administer my own b12 shots - KDM has prescribed them to me and they are 2ml in size, just wandering if people knew of a good cheap and reliable source, and some tips for administration

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey guys!
Im trying to locate syringes to administer my own b12 shots - KDM has prescribed them to me and they are 2ml in size, just wandering if people knew of a good cheap and reliable source, and some tips for administration
Can you buy them over the counter? I forget what country you are in. There are different instructions for different types of injections, but YouTube seems to have instructive videos for each type of injection.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Hey guys!

When my doctor prescribed B12 for self-injection, he recommended using the thigh muscle. I was given some in-person instruction.

Not sure about the UK, but Amazon website in the US sells syringes.

Do you already have the needles? They've got to be long enough to get through the layer of fat covering the thigh muscle - they can't be short ones. KDM or his nurse should give you some specifications for the length of the needle and gauge (diameter). It should have a beveled (angled) tip. A needle specification could read something like 23G X 1.5 inches. The larger the gauge number, the smaller in diameter the needle is.

It's probably easiest to buy a syringe with needle already attached from a medical supplier (human or veterinary). FWIW, I had the best luck with Terumo brand needles when I was giving my cat subcutaneous saline. They glided in easier than other brands.

This might be of some interest:
http://www.medisave.co.uk/consumabl...needles-syringes/combined-needle-syringe.html

Try using this search on Google: syringe with needle terumo uk

valentinelynx

I found this on AmazonUK: 27 gauge needle, 1 cc syringe:

Grey (27 Gauge) Needles and 1ml syringes injection kit

from Frontiermedical, Terumo

. I think it is a 3/4" needle, which is fine for subcutaneous admin. There are other syringes on Amazon UK as well, if you need a 2 ml syringe.

Personally, I find eBay a good source for needles and syringes.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
You can also buy the syringes separate from the needles. This allows you to use a very fine needle (30 or 31) with a 2 or 3 ml syringe. That is what I have done. BD makes a system called luer lok that lets you lock the needle you want into the syringe you want.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I found this on AmazonUK: 27 gauge needle, 1 cc syringe:

Grey (27 Gauge) Needles and 1ml syringes injection kit

from Frontiermedical, Terumo

.I think it is a 3/4" needle, which is fine for subcutaneous admin. There are other syringes on Amazon UK as well, if you need a 2 ml syringe.

Personally, I find eBay a good source for needles and syringes.

The injection is ideally intramuscular. I was told to use a needle that was 1.5 inches long in order to penetrate the fat in the thigh to get to the muscle.
http://aminopharmaceuticals.com/vitamin-b12-injection-sites

4. Thigh. The thigh is most often used by people who self-administer injections and for infants and small children. The target muscle, vastus lateralis, is halfway between the groin and the knee, slightly off-center towards the outside of the body.

Intramuscular injections are more common because they tend to have better results.
In this type of injection, the needle is inserted at a 90 degree angle, which puts the needle deep into muscular tissue. When the vitamin B12 is pushed through the needle, it will immediately be absorbed by the surrounding muscle. Thus this is a very effective and safe way to ensure that all of the B12 is being absorbed.

Subcutaneous injections are just below the skin as opposed to deep in the muscle. For this type of injection, the needle is inserted at a 45 degree angle. The outer skin may be pulled away from the muscle tissue to ensure that the needle does not pierce the muscle. The best site for this type of injection is the upper arm.

http://aminopharmaceuticals.com/b12-injection-instructions-ultimate-guide
Full instructions for self-injection are on this page. They don't mention the size of the needle. KDM's office should give you some advice on whether they want you to do a subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, and the size of the needle. I've read on other sites people mentioning 27gauge and at least one inch long.

There are a couple of nurses on this board. I hope maybe @Kina or @Kati can give you some advice.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Probably get them for free from a local hospital if you say your an Iv drug user???
B12 is good stuff man, great buzz, woohoo!
Hehehe

You should be able to buy them from a local pharmacy especially if u make sure you tell them your using it for b12 shots under the advice of a dr.

Kati

Patient in training
Usually there is a registered nurse or a doctor teaching you how to prepare seringes and how to self inject in a safe manner. Including the aseptia that is required, how to draw into a multi-use vial, how to desinfect site, how to pick the right site.

I personally feel as a RN and being on the internet, I am not comfortable in giving a teaching lesson for something I would do 1on 1, during a 30 minutes set time with a patient.

Your home health unit, or even your dr might be willing to show you how it's done.

I concur, getting the appropriate needle for the appropriate route (IM, sub/Q) is quite critical.

Best.

valentinelynx

B12 can be injected either IM or subcutaneous. Subcutaneous is easier and usually less painful. I am currently doing 10,000 mcg (1 ml of 10,000 mcg/ml solution) subQ three times a week.