• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Load of nonsense article (has a comment section)

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://www.knoxnews.com/entertainme...-2b0a4052-0603-3ec3-e053-01000-367827461.html

For a while, physicians believed that "vapors" arising from the spleen caused some forms of mental illness. It has always helped to have a specific organ of the body upon which to focus one's emotional issues. Even today in the United Kingdom, support groups for chronic weariness call this illness "myalgic encephalomyelitis" of the brain and nervous system.

Note there is no evidence or references given for anything in this article. He does make sure to reference our favourite bigot, Shorter

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Best ignored. The write up belongs in National inquirer along with Aliens from Space shot JFK.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
He's read a book by Shorter and is now trying to sound clever. Unworthy of notice.

Old Bones

He does make sure to reference our favourite bigot, Shorter

@Kyla I agree. Dr. Phil Kronk looks foolish in having chosen to quote and report on the opinions of Dr. Edward Shorter as presented in his long out-of-date (1993) book "From Paralysis to Fatigue: A History of Psychosomatic Illness in the Modern Era". I'd forgotten about this "gem". Fortunately, Amazon.com includes only eleven customer reviews -- an indication that few people have read it. Of those reviews. 55% gave it a 1-star rating, with an averaged rating of 2.5/5. Most of the low ratings are recent -- 2015. The more positive reviews are not so current. So, it seems some progress is being made with respect to accurate understanding of ME.

chipmunk1

a few gems:

Dr. Shorter notes that, "This is usually bad news for patients, when a symptom turns into a disease."
9/10
"Patients are always intent upon producing symptoms that their physicians will find convincing." -- Edward Shorter, Ph.D.
10/10

Edward Shorter, Ph.D., the Canadian medical historian, wrote that fatigue was once thought to be the result of the intense number of hours that individuals spent at work (labor.)

7/10

Last edited: