• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Llewleyn King: A Disease Gets Its Day, But Who Cares?

Firestormm

Llewleyn King: A Disease Gets Its Day, But Who Cares?

Reprinted with the kind permission of Llewellyn King and the White House Chronicle

By Llewellyn King

May 12 is not a day that is written into history. It is not a day when there will be, like clockwork, a presidential proclamation, or a moment of silence. Yet, for some, it is a day of recurring infamy.

Since 1992, it has been the day on which Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) sufferers — and those who care for them– have marked the disease. It is, for these people, a day of sorrow, of remembrance and of yearning. They remember those who have died, or committed suicide.

They are angry — often too angry to be persuasive — that ME is not on the national radar. They are angry that after more than three decades, the federal government is still seeking to define the disease, which afflicts about 1 million people here and 17 million worldwide; that research funding, at $5 million, is so low that in the world of Washington expenditures, you practically need an electron microscope to find it; and that the suffering goes on unmitigated.

They are angry that the government, through the Centers for Disease Control, abandoned the old name, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, in favor of the dismissive new name, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. They believe this trivializes the disease, and favors those who want to define it as a psychological affliction rather than a real disease....

Read more: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18930

Good mention of Mary Dimmock. Good luck Mary!! :)

taniaaust1

On this ME/CFS day.. May 12th and this day of rememberance, Ive finally had a big break throu and one of my doctors is willing to support my legal case against the gov services who have discriminated against me due to ME/CFS.

May things with this illness change REAL SOON!!