1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Llewellyn King interviews Dr. Kenny De Meirleir: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 42

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ember, Apr 20, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I had plenty of exposure to infectious organisms as a child. I think the hygiene hypothesis is more plausible as an explanation of primary allergic illnesses, such as nut allergy and asthma that occur in early life, rather than illnesses like ME which may or may not have infection as part of their causation, and which may or may not feature allergic-type reactions.

A Rajput, eh - I used to know one, and he was rather a wild man!

2. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    More Viking fun--Today in the doctor's office I opened their issue of National Geographic, from November 2012, and found an article on where the Vikings went and what they did. It said:

"Viking seafarers were the explorers par excellence of medieval Europe...Some voyaged west to what is now Scotland, England, and Ireland in the eighth century, bringing death by the sword in raids immortalized in medieval manuscripts. Many turned to foreign commerce. As early as the ninth century Viking merchants nudged eastward along the shores of the White and Black Seas and navigated the shoals of Eastern European rivers. They founded cities on major Eurasian trade routes and bartered for the finest wares from the Old World--glassware from the Rhine Valley, silver from the Middle East, shells from the Red Sea, silk from China." Then it goes on to describe their New World trading and settlements in Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Baffin Island.

Nico and Jarod like this.
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yea they really kind of suck other than if you wanna fight/argue

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    A link between Vikings and hemochromatosis? I carry one of the hemochromatosis genes, and have a brother with two.

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    So do you think their "bad karma" can be passed down through genes? If so, we have a cause for ME! :confused:

Sushi

heapsreal likes this.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Dreambirdie

I was quoting a Sanskrit scholar who was comparing Swedish and Sanskrit, so I don't have any more documentation than that. He was just very struck by the close similarities.

Sushi

7. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    I'm also a carrier of one hemochromatosis gene.

8. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Maybe Alex you ought to rethink that avatar for the Viking look.

heapsreal likes this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Einstein with a horned helmet?

Nico and Tristen like this.
  10. serg1942

serg1942 Senior Member

Spain
    Wow! that map is funny... I am the typical spanier, brown-dark hair, black eyes, etc.. However my skin is whiter than usual over here, and I have genes from the only two parts of Spain showed in the map as "invaded by Vikings!". FWIW!!!

Anyway, KDM says that there's a higher proportion of patients from the north Europe, not everyone...

S.

anne_likes_red likes this.
  11. girlinthesnow

girlinthesnow Senior Member

I do as well, time for a poll?

12. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
    Dreambirdie and Ember like this.
  13. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Perfect!

14. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Hi Daffodil,

Rajput warrior ancestry, huh? So does that mean you're Rajasthani? Or maybe Gujarati?

I don't have any Indian ancestry (unless you count Native American as "Indian" - LOL) but my husband is Maharashtran. He'd probably joke that the Maratha warriors (e.g., Shivaji) were just as fierce. ;)

Sorry for the thread hijacking but I don't run into very many Indians in online forums.

Back to the original topic, thank you to Ember for posting the link to that interview.

Needamiracle likes this.
  15. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

hi ahisma. i think i might be rajasthani cuz i am not gujarati and i know my parents are punjabi but speak hindi instead.

i did some googling and it appears the shivaji were descended from rajputs too..?

incidentally, gypsies are descended from rajputs, too!

16. clive powney

clive powney Senior Member

coventry
    Is there any way of corroborating this on this site? I have seen loads of posts from KDM patients and not particularly aware of any major success stories???

17. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    My Uncle had a Roman nose, it was roamin all over his face.

18. Ember

Ember Senior Member

In Seminar 7 (at 3:38), Dr. De Meirleir mentions that “chlamydial infections, mycoplasma and quite a lot of other intercellular infections are chronically present.”

19. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

sadly, i have a nose shaped like a beak. but i refuse to get rhinoplasty.

20. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Mitochondrial DNA can be traced back to the first females of homo sapiens, and it has shown for the first time a much more accurate map of migrations and so forth. I gather a person can have their mitochondrial DNA analysed and find out all their real ancestry through the female line. People have had some real surprises! Mitochondrial DNA lasts far longer than ordinary DNA. What am I getting to? Maybe a researcher would focus on analysing this type of DNA to look for common ancestry or markers in those with ME/CFS, instead of just looking at the regular DNA.

Jarod and alex3619 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.