1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Living with the unexplained: coping, distress, and depression: CFS +/or FMS vs autoimmune disorder

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Possibly not the most exciting study ever but I've read it and thought I'd post a little on or from it

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They mention looking for people in support centres and online support groups across Canada. I'm guessing this means Phoenix Rising wasn't a source, but maybe somebody can remember otherwise?
    -----
    Here's more specific info on the diagnoses of those who took part:
    -----
    Although it wasn't clear to me from the introduction, by the end I was inclined to think the authors were sympathetic to ME/CFS and not inclined to see the condition as primarily behavioural e.g.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    WillowJ, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought the conclusion they came through in the last sentence was interesting enough:

Esther12 likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This was a measure they used:

The CFS/FM group had statistically higher/worse levels on all four measures (and the total score) compared to healthy controls.

The CFS/FM group had statistically higher/worse levels on all four measures (and the total score) compared to the autoimmune patients, and this was statistically higher/worse for "distancing" and "minimizing". Probably with a bigger sample, the result would have been statistically significant for the other two.

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(I spaced out this paragraph to make it easier to read)
    The odd thing they found was that with increasing use of problem-focused coping, in the CFS/FMS group, perceived distress increased very slightly (slope=0.02), while for autoimmune disorders it decreased (slope=-0.43) and for healthies, it decreased a small bit more again.

Similarly the results for depression were different with regard to problem-focused coping: with increasing use of problem-focused coping, in the CFS/FMS group, depression increased slightly (slope=0.84), while for autoimmune disorders it decreased (slope=-6.20) and for healthies, it also decreased although not quite as severely.

This is how they discussed this bit:

WillowJ and Valentijn like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

While not an interpretation of the 'unsupportive social interactions' data that there's any good evidence to support, it is possible that those with CFS/FMS just tend to complain more, or expect unreasonably more from those around them. It is just a self-report questionnaire.

Although I don't see this sort of research as particularly enlightening, this piece sounded about as well meaning and helpful as we could hope for. Thanks D.

A.B. and Dolphin like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    While not the most exciting paper, I am glad that there are at least a few willing to take on the social side, and examine coping styles and distress in depth rather than simply claiming the distress is due to bad coping styles like some authors we know...

rosie26, Cheesus, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  8. N.A.Wright

N.A.Wright Guest

This sort of study would benefit from having gender comparison. It is quite possible that men and women experience quite different positive/negative interactions in differing social contexts. Research, particularly social research that deals with ME/CFS solely as a 'women's disease' is missing valuable reference and comparison points.

Cheesus, Dolphin and Snow Leopard like this.

See more popular forum discussions.