Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Liver Detox with CBS Mutation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by gracee41, Jun 13, 2016.

1. gracee41

gracee41 Senior Member

I have MTHFR with a ++CBS mutation. I also have Gilbert Syndrome so my bilirubin is high. I have thyroid disease and am having a terrible time with T3 conversion. Most of it occurs in the liver which makes it even worse. I've read I'm not supposed to take Milk Thistle since it is sulfur based. Is there anything else I can take that is effective and safe for a CBS mutation?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

The CBS variants either have a mild beneficial effect, or no effect at all. Thus it isn't something you need to worry about.

3. gracee41

gracee41 Senior Member

Thanks Valentijn. I have read in quite a few places that sulfur based supplements cause issues in people with CBS mutations. I will say that NAC makes me feel terrible.

4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I have CBS snps, and don't handle sulfur in foods or supps. You might get some direction from this thread.
    I've had excellent results over these last years using coffee enemas to support liver, adrenals. I compiled a blog, linked in my signature. Good luck.

5. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    That is the claim but there is no scientific basis for it. Actually it flows from a complete misreading of research by Yasko.

There can be many reasons for sensitivity to sulphur compounds, including NAC, but they have nothing to do with CBS.

The gene variants are common - it is hardly surprising that some people with them also have problems with sulphur (especially in a community like ours which is characterised by metabolic disturbance) - but there is no causal relationship.

Valentijn likes this.
  6. gracee41

gracee41 Senior Member

Thank you for your replies. This gives me some direction. I will give it a try and see how I feel.

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Those "places" are wrong. There is no scientific evidence that those SNPs cause any problems at all.

This is not related to CBS SNPs.

Plum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.