1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Live webcast IoM meeting Jan. 27th 1:pm starting

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Nielk, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  2. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    The webcast will begin shortly. If you tune in now, you will hear music and see people setting up.
    rosie26, Sing, golden and 1 other person like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Ooer, fancy music too! I bet our upcoming ass-reaming by the IOM shall be executed with the utmost class and refinement.
    justinreilly likes this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    for 1 million dollars, we better get good music! They should have brought in the Philharmonic orchestra.
  5. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    ... I like how Rick Erdtmann (of the IOM) implies that congress has anything to do with the existence of the IOM. And I'm not sure how being funded by people who want a "solution", instead of the federal government, is supposed to be a good thing.
  6. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The resources they use can be contributed by external sources and will be listed for public viewing. But none of the committee's discussions or drafts are public.

The committee's works will be reviewed by peer reviewers with roughly the same qualifications as the committee members. So if we get a psychobabble committee, will that mean a psychobabble group of reviewers?
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    This independent vigorous extensive review somehow let the GWI report slip through.
    leela, justinreilly and Valentijn like this.
  8. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Ellen Clayton (committe chair) got the name right at least, and refers to it as ME/CFS.
    taniaaust1, WillowJ, SOC and 2 others like this.
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I always have to practice pronunciation of that one myself :)
  10. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    And Nancy Lee from the HHS is pretending that this IOM BS is what the CFSAC asked for.
    taniaaust1, leela, Sing and 1 other person like this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    You know the way Nancy just said that it seems that HHS responded to CFSAc with IOM and that was perfectly fine... Appears it wasn't a problem for CFSAC at least.
  12. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Yep. 'We' are here to help with the evidence collection process i.e to answer the question that was asked of us - and about current definition preferences...

Interesting she broke down 'the illness' into CF, CFS, and ME...
    Valentijn likes this.
  13. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Lee is emphasizing that CF and ME should be looked at as potentially distinct entities.

She's listing current case definitions: Fukuda, NICE, CCC, ICC. No Oxford - I think NICE is an ME definition? Or at least better than Oxford? Or are they the same?
  14. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Different definitions for different conditions under the umbrella? (Nancy posed the question). I bloody hope not!
    aimossy likes this.
  15. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Lee is also inviting the IOM to rename it. She mentioned that the name "CFS" causes harm to patients.
    aimossy, justinreilly and Firestormm like this.
  16. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Many people - advocates, scientists and doctors - believe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a name causes great harm - 'I agree' says Nancy :thumbsup:
    aimossy, rosie26, Kati and 4 others like this.
  17. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    He he he... you and me kid :) I think I shall refrain from commenting and let you carry on. I am off to bed soon x
  18. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Uh oh - technical difficulties already - anyone else?
  19. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Lot of gratitude from Nancy for this process and involvement of IOM expressed on behalf of CFSAC.

Good opening talk I felt :)
  20. shannah

shannah Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.