• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Live tweeting from James Coyne talks in Belfast, Sun 7 & Tues 9 Feb, #PACEni

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Glad you enjoyed the tweets. I really couldn't keep up with tweeting & listening as well this time. So many other great sound bites that I couldn't type quickly enough (and can't remember now).

All in all we feel the event was very worthwhile. Exhausted now - happy exhausted - probably still on adrenalin!

Kati

Patient in training
It is absolutely sad that we have to be ca
Glad you enjoyed the tweets. I really couldn't keep up with tweeting & listening as well this time. So many other great sound bites that I couldn't type quickly enough (and can't remember now).

All in all we feel the event was very worthwhile. Exhausted now - happy exhausted - probably still on adrenalin!
thank you @Keela Too and rest!!,

Keela Too

Sally Burch

Keela Too

Sally Burch
My daughter was one of the biomedical PhD students there, she also chatted to others at the end more than I was able. She told me that the event seemed to have had quite an impact on attendees, most of whom had no idea of how desperate our situation has become. I think things will get shaken up a bit because of this event, hopefully locally and perhaps even internationally. ;)

Certainly I was amused that the Daily Mail had another ME article online the next morning? Co-incidence? LOL

sarah darwins

She told me that the event seemed to have had quite an impact on attendees, most of whom had no idea of how desperate our situation has become.
That's the thing, isn't it. I'm sure most people in the biomedical world simply don't realise what's going on. They see 'psychomedical' stuff as essentially harmless — sort of a quaint, touchy-feely adjunct for making people feel a bit better. They just don't realise that there are groups of very sick people who are being offered nothing else and who are absolutely desperate for real medical help. I don't think they realise, either, just how much influence the psychological lobby is now exerting within healthcare systems, especially the NHS.

On which subject, the British Psychological Society's Strategic Plan, 2015-20, includes the following 'strategic goal':

- Maximise the impact of psychology on public policy.

They also include the following under 'Values':

• honesty and integrity;
• transparency;
• respect for a diversity of viewpoints;

[source: http://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/Public files/2014_strategic_plan_web.pdf]

Seems like not all their members got that memo.