• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of media stories on tribunal PACE data release ruling

Does this count? No idea what this website (What Doctors Don't Tell You) is but looks like they used a press release from MEAction.

https://www.wddty.com/news/2016/08/...-all-in-the-mind-forced-to-disclose-data.html
-
News2016August › Researchers who claimed chronic fatigue is “all in the mind” forced to disclose data › August 2016
Researchers who claimed chronic fatigue is “all in the mind” forced to disclose data
August 22nd 2016 in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fatigue

Researchers of a controversial study, which had effectively implied that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is ‘all in the mind’, have been forced by a tribunal to release their data so that independent researchers can assess their findings.
-
and
-
The £5m study concluded that both approaches could “moderately improve”, and that 22 per cent had been effectively cured—conclusions that some academics and patient groups questioned, as it suggested that CFS was ‘all in the mind’ rather than having a physiological aspect, as other research had discovered.
-
More on website

https://www.wddty.com/news/2016/08/...-all-in-the-mind-forced-to-disclose-data.html

Esther12

Does this count? No idea what this website (What Doctors Don't Tell You) is but looks like they used a press release from MEAction.

I think that they're a pro-alternative medicine thing? Not sure where the 'all in the mind' quote came from.

Or "some academics and patient groups questioned, as it suggested that CFS was ‘all in the mind’ rather than having a physiological aspect, as other research had discovered."

Oh well.

hixxy

Seems the coverage so far has been pretty lacking. Certainly nothing compared to the viral responses the proponents of GET/CBT get for their publications. I don't think I've seen even one major health website or mainstream news outlet. Maybe it would take a retraction to get that kind of response?

wdb

Seems the coverage so far has been pretty lacking. Certainly nothing compared to the viral responses the proponents of GET/CBT get for their publications. I don't think I've seen even one major health website or mainstream news outlet. Maybe it would take a retraction to get that kind of response?
inews is mainstream (292,801 readers) and had two articles, though don't know if they made it into the print edition.

Cheshire

The BMJ: Tribunal orders university to release data from PACE chronic fatigue study
(behind a paywall)

A tribunal has ruled that Queen Mary University of London must release data from a trial looking at treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome, which found that cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy helped to alleviate the symptoms of the condition.1

The findings of the PACE (Pacing, graded Activity, and Cognitive behaviour therapy: a randomised Evaluation) trial, published in the Lancet in 2011,2 were questioned by some academics and patients, who argued that the PACE programme could harm patients.

In March 2014 Alem Matthees, a patient in Australia, submitted a freedom of information request to Queen Mary University of London, where some of the PACE researchers were based, asking …

http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4614

AndyPR

The BMJ: Tribunal orders university to release data from PACE chronic fatigue study
(behind a paywall)
http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4614

A post with the full text has just gone up in the Invest In ME group on Facebook, I believe it should be viewable even if you don't have Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/5804522506/permalink/10153899767177507/

I forgive them even more now, one quote from the QMUL response but two good ones from @Keith Geraghty and @Jonathan Edwards - thank you gentlemen :thumbsup:

A post with the full text has just gone up in the Invest In ME group on Facebook, I believe it should be viewable even if you don't have Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/5804522506/permalink/10153899767177507/

I forgive them even more now, one quote from the QMUL response but two good ones from @Keith Geraghty and @Jonathan Edwards - thank you gentlemen :thumbsup:

I'd have preferred it if the BMJ had put the JE quote about alleged behaviour of patients in some context by pointing out that the judgment criticised the evidence given regarding patients.

Dolphin

http://www.6minutes.com.au/news/latest-news/not-taking-chronic-fatigue-lying-down
Not taking chronic fatigue lying down
23 August, 2016 0 comments

Distressed.aspx

An Australian man with chronic fatigue syndrome has forced UK researchers to release raw data from a highly controversial trial on the...

This site is accessible only by Australian-registered health practitioners. Click here to log in or register.

A.B.

I'm glad to see the BMJ article. It's pretty decent, but one can see that the writer was not familiar with the topic from phrases such as

The findings of PACE were questioned by some academics and patients, who argued that the PACE programme could harm patients.

The main criticism is that the claim of recovery doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Conclusion: there's still room for doing a better job presenting our concerns about the PACE trial.

I consider PACE to be evidence that CBT and GET are largely ineffective at treating the underlying disease due to lack of improvement on objective measures and the null results at long term followup, and think that an indepedent analysis of the data according to the original study protocol would confirm this (the authors altered the protocol at a point in time where it was possible to get a sense of the outcome).

Last edited:

Bob

Researchers who claimed chronic fatigue is “all in the mind” forced to disclose data
WDDTY said:
The £5m study concluded that both approaches could “moderately improve”, and that 22 per cent had been effectively cured—conclusions that some academics and patient groups questioned, as it suggested that CFS was ‘all in the mind’ rather than having a physiological aspect, as other research had discovered.
Interesting to frame the 'recovery' claims in those terms. i.e. the simple logical conclusion that if you can be 'cured' by CBT then your illness must indeed be "all in your mind" rather than only "having a psychological aspect".