• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of Good Nerve Medications

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Hello. I hope I am posting this in the right place. A very sweet woman I work with is about to get fired. She has had unknown muscle and nerve pain and cannot get to sleep. This has led her to fall asleep at work. She has tried some different nerve medications. Right now she is taking Gabapentin, which is making her very sleepy. She needs to get off of it and try something else. She has also tried Lyrica and Savella. Lyrica has not worked well and Savella has caused her to vomit, even when titrating.

I was hoping I could get some help coming up with a list of other medications that will help with the nerve and muscle pain and won't cause her to fall asleep. If as many people as possible could give me suggestions, that would be very helpful.

I take Tramadol and diclofenac with various supplements like the Pall Protocol. However, she has not had much luck with Tramadol and cannot afford the Pall Protocol.

If you know of any other prescription medications that are useful, please post them here.

soxfan

I tried the Neurontin (Gabapentin) a few years back and started on a really low dose because it made me very sleepy too. If she can take like 100mg to start and maybe go up slowly her body can adjust to the medication. It was the best one I ever took for my nerve pain....

I have a sister with MS who had to titrate up slowly as well and is now up to 1000mg twice a day and is able to function quite well....

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Venlafaxine XR may be useful for some types of nerve pain. It's usually taken in the morning as it is activating, not sedating. I've taken it in the past for this purpose.

*GG*

Not sure if LDN falls under this category, but think I have read it is good for some people in this regard.

GG

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Thank you for the suggestions. Anyone ever try anti-seizure medications for nerve pain like Depakote or something similar?

DeGenesis

I read a study that suggested that Neurontin strongly inhibits synaptogenesis. I personally wouldn't take either Neurontin or Lyrica for that reason. In general anti-epileptics with sodium-channel blocking properties help nerve pain. I think that Cymbalta, even though it's not an AED, can help in this way. It has an FDA indication for diabetic neuropathy.

Last edited:

JalapenoLuv

I do well on gabapentin for neuropathic pain. The only side effect is mild hallucinations (seeing something in corner of eye that isn't there that makes you jump) on the higher doses. Much better than the neuropathic pain.