• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liquid Protein Diet = Big Help With Energy + Digestion + Nausea

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with taking most of their meals in liquid form? I have made this switch recently, and I feel like I am actually getting nutrition in my body for the first time in.... years.

I spent many years struggling greatly with severe nausea and profound debilitating fatigue. After switching to a mostly liquid diet, I am not totally cured.... but I at least have some desire to stay on this planet for a little longer :)

Here is what I have been doing. 3-4 times per day I have a liquid protein shake:
  • yogurt
  • ice
  • little fruit
  • little stevia
  • rotating protein powder - my favorite one is from sprouted grains and legumes (raw protein)

The rest of the time I just eat regular meals. I bought a little personal blender to make this easier and it works very well (costs $15). I know I should be eating more greens... but I have tried green smoothies in earnest in the past and they did not seem to help me.

I feel much better than I did before, like my body is having a much easier time absorbing nutrition and protein this way and I am getting my energy back and not reacting to food all the time.

Has anyone else tried anything like this? What are you eating? How is it going for you?

UPDATE: I also created a "shake making station" in my kitchen. I did not used to have the energy to make shakes. It now takes me no more than three minutes to sit and make a shake, including all cleaning and washing. See my post below.

Last edited:

Effi

@KitCat The opposite happens to me: I find liquid meals are harder to digest. Good to hear it's working for you!

@JPV I've looked into Soylent too when it was in the developing phase, but I'm not convinced that's the way to go... Have you read any positive reviews from real life users?

KitCat

I looked it up.

$18 for three meals!! I don't think I will be trying it any time soon. But the reviews have a definite theme:

3.0 out of 5 starsThe taste is nice, it's easy to make
By J. Thompson on November 9, 2014
Size: One Day (3 Meals)
Do you like to fart? Because this is what you drink if you love to fart. Maybe you need to impress the meatheads at a college frat party or perhaps be the guest of honor at some weird fetish bar. THIS drink is what you need. I guarantee within 2-3 hours of consumption you will be a human symphony of flatulence. Never in my life have I passed as much wind as the three days when I was drinking this.. And I'm not talking about quick little "poots" every once in a while - these hit often and are deep, windy baritone notes that could be mistaken for coming from a saxaphone playing a low E if no one were the wiser. I've actually had to stop using it because it was starting to be painful (when I couldn't let loose) and embarrassing (the awful new smell) at work. It may have something to do with my particular flora / fauna, but I absolutely cannot drink this anymore and have unused bags that I'll have to think of something else to do with.

5.0 out of 5 stars
Is she "the one"?

By Average Joe on November 26, 2014

Size: One Day (3 Meals)
Soylent gives you the kind of gas that is absolutely perfect for stress-testing your marriage. If you aren't sure about whether your wife truly loves you or not, Soylent WILL give you an answer.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
@JPV I've looked into Soylent too when it was in the developing phase, but I'm not convinced that's the way to go... Have you read any positive reviews from real life users?
Like most of these sorts of things, it seems sort of hit-and-miss. Some people swear by it other don't much care for it.

I remember checking the ingredients awhile ago and some of them seemed a bit questionable to me. I got the impression that some ingredients might have been chosen more for controlling costs than for health benefits. They're always updating the formula so maybe this has since been rectified.

They also maintain a database of user submitted formulas that might be worth looking into for those that are interested...

DIY Soylent

Getting calories in liquid is one of the few things I am certain that actually help me out. When I crash out I can get really tired from just digesting food.

If I am feeling bad I will make a lazy mix of water with

Oats
Protein powder (Chocolate flavour is great)

The better I feel and the more energy I have the more vegetables and frutis I add to the shake. Typically

Frozen bananas
Spinach
Kale
Berries

Last edited:

KitCat

just raw oats? I haven't tried that.

I have a few things that have helped me enormously with making shakes even when my energy is low:

1. little personal blender (not big regular blender)
2. rolling stool in the kitchen
3. shake area -- I have a little spot in the kitchen where I keep everything. everything stays on the counter and never goes in a cupboard. It has:
* kitchen sink, right there I don't have to move to reach it
* personal blender, right there already plugged in
* protein powders
* cups
* everything else I like to put in a shake

It is now pretty easy for me to just sit in one spot and make a shake in three minutes. I wash the blender the second it is done and it literally takes 10 seconds to wash with very hot water. then it sits in the dish drain right where my shake area is.

just raw oats? I haven't tried that.

I have a few things that have helped me enormously with making shakes even when my energy is low:

1. little personal blender (not big regular blender)
2. rolling stool in the kitchen
3. shake area -- I have a little spot in the kitchen where I keep everything. everything stays on the counter and never goes in a cupboard. It has:
* kitchen sink, right there I don't have to move to reach it
* personal blender, right there already plugged in
* protein powders
* cups
* everything else I like to put in a shake

It is now pretty easy for me to just sit in one spot and make a shake in three minutes. I wash the blender the second it is done and it literally takes 10 seconds to wash with very hot water. then it sits in the dish drain right where my shake area is.

Yep just raw oats. Incredibly cheap as well.

I also use a little personal blender. Best investment I have ever made. So easy to clean up, and can drink directly from the blender.