• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liquid Betaine Hydrochloride

Waverunner

Janet, I understand your problem but all the talking leads to nowhere. What is yuk about a gastroscopy? It's a great way to get your stomach checked (biopsies included). You can start praying that you never have to do a coloscopy because you will need a stronger word for it than "yuk".

When I take betaine HCL things get 1000% worse for me. As you said, you don't have issues with energy, there is no excuse for you not to go to a gastroenterologist and get the basic science done. If they find nothing, great, then you can start looking at other possibilities and will never have to worry about more serious causes of bloating.

ME/CFS people would do any test in order to get treatment or to know the cause of their disease so it's kind of funny that a healthy person doesn't even want to do basic/standard tests because it includes going to a doctor twice.

I know I just hate Docs. I should have had a colonoscopy two years ago but I did the anti candida diet and really really restricted foods and sugars and the bloating did improve - I did relax a bit but still eat very little sugar when I was tested for candida and told I didn't have it anymore. I wonder if it is food allergies/sensitivities and I've had a lot of stress in my life the last year. Next time I go to the Doc I will ask - it's just I hate going and upsetting my system when I feel well in other areas. But I do admit the bloating gets me down. I took a probiotic on Thursday night and I was so bloated on Friday.

Waverunner how does the betaine make you 1000 times worse? What happens to you and why if you have low stomach acid. How does acid reflux affect you?

Waverunner

Waverunner how does the betaine make you 1000 times worse? What happens to you and why if you have low stomach acid. How does acid reflux affect you?

I have too much stomach acid. The Betaine HCL made the acid reflux much worse for me. I got strong heart burn for 2 consecutive days after taking the recommended doses for one day. I can understand that you don't like going to doctors. Noone does. In the end however it's worth it. There is no pain or whatever involved with a gastroscopy. They just check your stomach.

What's the prep for it - that's what put me off the colonoscopy having all that laxative stuff - and how long would I be away from work?

I'm wishing now that perhaps it may have been better to get this in tablet form instead of liquid!

Waverunner

What's the prep for it - that's what put me off the colonoscopy having all that laxative stuff - and how long would I be away from work?

The prep consists of nothing. You are not allowed to eat or drink anything 4-5 hours before the gastroscopy but that's it.

Regarding the form of Betaine HCL, as someone mentioned before, I would be cautious about not to keep in your motuh too long, it might be harmful to your teeth.

Just out of curiosity for those who have taken the betaine - how good has it been in reducing bloating - 50% better, 100% better - good /bad - I've not been able to find out any customer testimonials regarding anyone taking it apart from probably on this website. I get very nervous about taking new things that my body hasn't had before.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Just out of curiosity for those who have taken the betaine - how good has it been in reducing bloating - 50% better, 100% better - good /bad -

It is likely the HCL not the betaine that would be effective--provided that your problem is low acidity. HCL has improved my digestion considerably.

Sushi

So is HCL and betaine two different things? Think I'm showing my ignorance on this. I can take apple cider vinegar and not get the burn in the tummy so would that be a sign of low stomach acid? I'll have to do the baking powder test but need to buy some.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi Janet well if you don't have ME then maybe your problem is far simpler. I have a few friends who don't have ME but experience bloating on a regular basis after eating bread, could it be that its just gluten you are intolerant to. The only way to find out is to go gluten free for a few weeks, harder than it sounds but worth it if it gets to the root of your problem.

I do avoid it as much as I can - never had bread for nearly two years and eat Ryvita - I agree I think it's something either food related, possibly candida although I've been cleared for this, parasites or something along those lines. Thing is you see I feel fine otherwise - good energy levels etc. but the bloating does depress me because it's so bad - I hate eating, my diet is restricted but food is a nightmare for me now because doesn't matter hwat i eat or drink I bloat!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Yes but gluten is in many things Janet and if you try a gluten free diet you have to eliminate every source if you are serious about doing it.

I know - it's the hidden things in food that's the problem. I did do the anti candida diet and was really strict with it then after tests was told it was gone but I have twice been checked for other things and lemons, cane and beet sugar came out as being sensitive. So you can see how there are no treats in my diet or very very few. An odd one now and then but boring!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I do avoid it as much as I can - never had bread for nearly two years and eat Ryvita - I agree I think it's something either food related, possibly candida although I've been cleared for this, parasites or something along those lines. Thing is you see I feel fine otherwise - good energy levels etc. but the bloating does depress me because it's so bad - I hate eating, my diet is restricted but food is a nightmare for me now because doesn't matter hwat i eat or drink I bloat!

Hi Janet, i'm sure you realise that ryvita contains gluten, but just invcase you didnt thought i would mention it.
All the best, Justy.

justy

Fair enough! i was just pointing out that it isnt gluten free, to be gluten free you have to not only avoid wheat but also rye, oats and barley.
BTW do you have M.E/CFS?

Oh no don't get me wrong I hope you didn't think I was being rude - sometimes they say it doesn't contain gluten and other times it does - I just eat it because it doesn't make me as bloated as bread - and I try to go wheat free so Ryvita was the best choice for me - gluten free bread I'm not sure of because some of it has rice flour and I'm not good on rice but the new one looks good that they advertise.. No don't have any of those illness - like I said it's just bloating with me because otherwise I'm quite well.

justy

No i didnt think you were being rude - i know it can be hard to tell when you are talking over the net. Whatever works for you is best - when i had severe candida i also couldnt tolerate rice - made me very bloated.
I'm not being rude now either but just wondering what you are doing posting on this forum if you don't have M.E - this is an M.E forum for M.E sufferers and their carers, advocates etc, moat of the people on this forum are VERY sick, myself included.
Good luck with the BHCL, Justy.