1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Liposomal Vit. C - Safe & Powerful Viricide, Bacteriacide, Fungicide & Parasiticide

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Wayne, Mar 14, 2014.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Update: Fatigue from Vit C seems to have been caused by the baking soda that I mixed with it to buffer it. I'm not super clear on what happened there, but I am taking a magnesium ascorbate (liposomal) and it doesn't make me tired.

Wayne likes this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I've just had a weird experience with my first 1g of liposomal Vitamin C.

Three weeks ago, I started taking Prescript Assist (a highly-regarded, probiotic containing soil-based organisms) at 1/3 capsule/day, hoping it would help my chronic sinusitis as it did someone else who has been taking resistant starch (a powerful prebiotic).

Four days in I started a run of sinus headaches that lasted eight days, including one that started late at night and that I woke up with the next day (unheard of). Six days in I developed a very sore mouth with rough skin and swollen, painful lymph nodes under my jaw. Then I started up with a crop of cold sores, after not having had any in at least a year, possibly longer. I stopped the Prescript Assist after 11 days in case these things were connected and my mouth healed up and the lymph nodes went down and my sinus headaches stopped.

Then, after a few days, I took 1g of liposomal Vitamin C and within two hours I developed another sinus headache and my mouth became raw again, with painful lymph nodes. I haven't take another dose yet.

I've been discussing this over on the Resistant Starch thread and one suggestion is that this reaction indicates that my immune system was being stimulated in both instances and was starting to tackle infections, hence the symptoms.

I'm wondering if anyone else trying liposomal Vitamin C has had such a reaction. I was very surprised: as I mentioned, during my first illness many years ago I was on IV Vit C and later, 45g/day of Vit C tablets that had no effect whatsoever, either way.

I'm not sure what to do next.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I restarted this and have been on 0.25g for about a week with no effects either way - I decided to start on a dose that didn't provoke symptoms and gradually work up. I've just received 'Primal Panacea' by Dr Levy so am going to read it.

How's everyone doing on this?

5. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Did you ever retry the Prescript-Assist?

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    No - I thought I'd better try either that or the Vit C since the side-effects (or positive effects, who knows) were so similar and I didn't want to confuse the picture.

I've just had two days on 0.5g of the liposomal Vit C and my mouth is slightly raw again. I'm surprised this is happening on such a low dose - I'm wondering if I'm going to be able ever to raise it.

7. end

end Senior Member

Apparently the body increases it's absorption of Vit C when it requires more. When I have a cold I can use much higher dosages before I hit bowel tolerance

Sammy likes this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @adreno, can you tell me where you get those figures? I've been looking on Livon Labs's site to try to get references to studies that compare their liposomal stuff with conventional Vit C but there don't seem to be any, just indirect stuff:

http://www.altrient-europe.com/studies/

9. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Some research I did years ago. I don't have the references anymore.

Sasha likes this.
  10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Sasha
    I've taken 3 of the liposomal sachets at times and not had any side effect, no bowel movement nada.
    Have taken 1 sachet a day of the liposomal for the past 5yrs or so, never knew whether it was doing anything so went onto a cheapo one a few weeks ago, got up to bowel tolerance at I think it was 12/13grms, maybe a bit more, can't remember. That has never happened on the liposomal.....strange

Sasha likes this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I don't think you can ever reach bowel tolerance with the liposomal no matter how much you take (from what I've read). The recommendation is that you gauge bowel tolerance using conventional Vit C and then take the equivalent in lipo and/or conventional.

I'd like to find studies on the bioequivalence, though - had a quick look on Pubmed and couldn't see anything.

12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Sasha likes this.
  13. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Ah well now that makes sense of it then.

Sasha likes this.
  14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  16. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I don't know what you mean by indirect. Actually, the study showed equal blood levels for oral and liposomal C up to 5 grams, which is rather weird - I certainly feel the difference between the two. Perhaps blood levels aren't all that interesting. It is intracellular levels that we are really interested in, and I think there are no studies measuring those.

17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I've been having problems reading for the last couple of days (brainfog) and I can see now this is a direct comparison (oops).

You're right - the 5g curves are very similar. The 5g conventional vs 20g lipo are different but then it's not comparing like dose with like dose. I wonder if the therapeutic idea is to get the concentration up and that that isn't possible with conventional Vit C because of the bowel tolerance limits.

And as you say, maybe it's intracellular levels that count.

18. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

for cancer, some doctors give 100 000 grams vit C per IV. I know one CFS patient taking that much.

I wish the homemade lipo C didn't taste like death. cannot afford IV

19. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    No, they don't. But they might give 100 grams.

Valentijn likes this.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Wow - is it doing any good? How long/often have they been on it?

Does it taste horrible because of all the unencapsulated Vit C in it (which would make it sour, I assume)? If so, I wonder if there's a way to separate it out. The Livon Labs lipo-C sinks to the bottom of a glass of water in a blobby string (yum!). It would be possible to just pour almost all of the water away without disturbing it.

See more popular forum discussions.