1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Liposomal Vit. C - Safe & Powerful Viricide, Bacteriacide, Fungicide & Parasiticide

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Wayne, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I believe Liposomal Vitamin C, and other liposomal products, offer a lot of potential for many pwCFS, especially those considering anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-histamine, anti-inflammatory, and/or anti-fungal therapies. Because it's similar in effectiveness to IV Vitamin C therapy, I've come to believe Lipo C has the potential to be a viable alternative to, or adjunct with, many of the prescription drug protocols that are often discussed on this board.

I started taking Lipo C late last year and so far feel it's given me a bit of extra energy and stamina. But I feel I'm still just getting started in my experimentation, and that it holds a lot more potential for me. Since starting Lipo C, I’ve been thinking about starting a thread on it, but couldn't quite figure out how to succinctly introduce it. I finally realized this is such a vast topic, with so many potential benefits for pwCFS, that I needed to just get this thread started, which would then hopefully initiate some diverse compilation of data by myself and others on this board.

---
    To get started, I thought I would introduce Dr. Thomas Levy, who is currently quite a proponent of Vitamin C therapy, and who is in a number of YouTube videos on the subject. He’s also written a number of articles that I think are quite good, often giving some fascinating historical data.

A major point he often makes is how powerful Vitamin C is as an anti-viral, mentioning how it was phenomenally successful in treating children with polio back in the 1940's (60 out of 60 cases cured within 3-5 days). He mentions it in this particular video at the 20:45 Minute Mark:

Vitamin C Antidote too all known toxins Thomas Levy, MD - even SNAKEBITE! ...

---
    The following article describes how to use Vit. C to increase the effectiveness and safety of vaccinations. IMHO, it may be one of its most important therapeutic uses:

Vitamin C Prevents Vaccination Side Effects; Increases Effectiveness, by Thomas E Levy, MD, JD

---
    This link will take you to a website which describes liposomal technology, and how it's being used more and more, not only for supplements like Vit. C and other herbs, but by pharmaceutical companies to make their drugs much more absorbable.

Liposomal Encapsulation Technology
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    merylg, golden and adreno like this.
  2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Vitamin C May Be A Life-Saver - Mega-doses Can Counter Avian Flu, Hepatitis &
    Herpes, And Control Advance Of AIDS

By Jane Feinmann, The Independent - UK
    4-14-5

The following quoted text is the first four paragraphs of the above linked article:
    golden likes this.
  3. Jon_Tradicionali

Jon_Tradicionali Senior Member

Zogor-Ndreaj, Shkodër, Albania
    I've heard and read a lot about VitC. Most of it sounded like a too good to be true commercial.

Have you @Wayne ever tried 20,000+ VitC for a period of 3 days as the doctor has found success doing?

It sounds like a good experiment to try nevertheless. For people like me who have nothing to lose.
  4. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Very interesting. My Integrative MD has all his MTHFR and chronic patients taking Lipo C. But I've only been taking one capsul per day - which is a much lower dose than discussed. I've had no negative effects, I wonder what might happen if I try to ramp it up a bit. Like Jon said, what's the harm in trying? I don't know if I'll pump it up as high as the intravenous... but if I can work my way up a bit, it might result in something.
  5. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Sounds great, but...
    Whenever I see 100% "cure" rates and read that something cures EVERYTHING from polio to snakebite, red flags marked "Snakeoil" start going up. :cautious:
    Jon_Tradicionali likes this.
  6. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    I didnt want to tangle the two subjects, so i started a thread on IV Vit C.

But from the little I have read, IV vit C seems to work differently to lypo C.
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I think Lipo C is more effective than IV, because of the phospholipids making it easier for the vit C to enter the cells.
    golden likes this.
  8. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    I started Lipo vitamin C yesterday using lecithin capsules and ascorbic acid which l know is too acid but l already had it in. Can l just add Mg to buffer it and can l encapsulate it as well or just stir it in before l take the C? Thanks to anyone who can answer.
  9. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

@brenda

What did you come up with? I just ordered some magnesium ascorbate, because I am currently making liposomal vitamin c (buffered with baking soda...I have no idea if this is a good idea) and liposomal magnesium (glycinate), and it would be nice to combine them to some degree.

Does anyone have experience with getting worse on liposomal vitamin c? Because I really seem to. When I took about two tablespoons of vitamin c (in liposomes, all told the liquid nears 2 cups) my usable hours go down from 5 to 1.5 per day, I spend way more time lying down, and my brain is much more foggy. I am hopeful that this means it is helping my body kill pathogens, but I would love to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I bought some lipo C but before it arrived I read that it gets twice the amount of Vit C to your cells that ordinary Vit C tablets do, which didn't seem like much, considering it's phenomenally expensive - I wondered if I should just be doubling my dose of ordinary tablets.

Am I missing something?

I thought Linus Pauling's reviews of the Vit C literature had been shown to have involved a lot of 'cherry-picking' of results that suited his hypothesis while ignoring those that didn't. Have there been new systematic reviews?
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I was on 45g (yes, grammes) of Vit C/day during my first illness with ME, which had me bedbound for many years. Didn't do anything at all. By what factor does IV Vit C increase the effective dose (i.e. how many grammes of Vit C in tablet form are the equivalent of 1g intravenously)?
  12. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

As far as lipo C vs any kind of non-lipo c, I think that to some degree the issue is bowel tolerance. I have also been able to take very high doses of vitamin c without lyposomes at one time...(I was peeing blood at the time, probably a kidney infection but by the time I saw a doctor it had gone away and the test showed nothing). But now I seem to have a much lower bowel tolerance.

I wonder if the answer to your question might be found in researching vitamin c transport. It seems strange that your body would take in so much more than most of us can, yet be unable to use it. Yet that is what it sounds like! Maybe you need more magnesium: I read something about magnesium being necessary for the macrophages to use vitamin c. Or maybe there are different transport mechanisms involved in the gut vs in macrophages et? If that were the case, then liposomal vitamin c might be hugely effective.
    Sasha likes this.
  13. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Hi

I have not had much to report on lipo C, in fact I have been forgetting to take it. Must get back to it. I am having a really good result from Prescript Assist though.
    Little Bluestem and Wayne like this.
  14. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Oral absorption is about 10-15%, liposomal about 85-90%. So taking 10 gram liposomal would be equal to about 90 grams oral.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's more like it - I wonder where I got the other figure from?
  16. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    This is what I was trying to say about iv...

http://drhoffman.com/article/intravenous-vitamin-c-for-cancer-2/

personally, too scared and cash poor to give that a whirl but i have been getting good benefits from masses of fruit i have been eating.

Although i feel terrible today.
  17. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

I made lipo c once and then got lazy. I bought the ultrasonic cleaner too. ugh. I am too tired to do it..but I think it helps
    Wayne likes this.
  18. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I sometimes slack off my own Lipo C regimen, but find I feel better when I stick with it. I take two ounces at a time, and I feel a bit of an energy boost every time I take a dose.
    Sasha likes this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I've just remembered that during my first illness (I was confined to bed with ME for several years when I first got it, then had a remission, then a relapse) I had a course of IV Vit C which also didn't do anything for me. Maybe Vit C is just not my thing or maybe the dosing regimen wasn't correct.

Is there a recommended dosing schedule/duration for liposomal Vit C? I've only got one packet and it's only got 30g Vit C in total.
    celeste likes this.
  20. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    I tried IV vit C early in my illness too. Didn't see any benefit.
    Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.