• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipopolysaccharide Antagonist Molecule AM-12

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Has anybody heard of this before?
Lipopolysaccharide Antagonist; AM-12

Lipopolysaccharide Antagonist; AM-12 is an antagonist of LPS signaling without activating the inflammatory cascade. This Lipid A analog contains a glucopyranoside core, hydrophobic ether substituents, and an amino acid to provide an ionic character. It has been shown to be a very effective inhibitor of LPS-induced TNF-alpha production in human macrophages.

Highlights:
  • Blocks pro-inflammatory response to lipopolysaccharides (LPS)
  • No toxicity or agonist activity observed (range of 0.2 - 40 uM tested)
  • TNF-alpha inhibition (IC50) of 470 nM, the lowest reported for a monosaccharide compound
  • Mimics classic Lipid A analogs, however, lacks the toxic disaccharide core
Endotoxins (Lipopolysaccharide or LPS) are a major component of the cell wall of gram-negative bacteria and are released from the bacteria as they are destroyed. LPS induces a strong response from normal immune systems and can lead to sepsis. LPS binds the CD14/TLR4/MD2 receptor complex, which promotes the secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines in many cell types, but especially in macrophages. LPS is composed of three structural regions, one of which (the Lipid-A region) is largely responsible for the toxic activity.

msf

Looks promising, at least for those with leaky gut. I don´t know if you would want to do this with a pathogenic bacteria though, I guess it would depend on how virulent it was.

alex3619

LPS is a super antigen. It can drive someone with a LPS based bacterial infection into septic shock. Blocking LPS will not stop the immune system from fighting a bacterial infection. It will just slow down the severity and speed of the immune response. In anyone with a severe immune response this would be a good thing.

I would like to see human clinical trials if the research keeps showing results.

msf

I was referring to its potential use in ME, rather than in sepsis.

KDM has talked about the potential efficacy of such a approach in Lyme.