1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Things of Beauty? Joy Forever -- Even with ME/CFS
I spent every day for years propped up on pillows on my bed. I could see out my window to the left. My messy closet was to the right. Looking straight ahead I saw a television, a messy desk and a dresser.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipkin XMRV study to be released June 30th

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Alistair, Jun 1, 2012.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I was asking about members of the press and wondering how far in advance they will get the findings, if they get them in advance at all. I'm not hinting around that anyone, journalists or scientists, should commit an ethical breach and leak something early; I'm just looking for more scraps of information about how big and complex a story this is going to be.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Sometimes the press and other interested parties get a copy of the results or an early press pack and this is subject to an emabargo that stops them publishing it.

I imagine that the nasty people of the Science Media Centre in London have lined up one or two of their tame experts to spin this their way regardless of what the results are.
    currer, SOC and maryb like this.
  3. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

barbc56 and Firestormm like this.
  5. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    I can see them now burning the midnight oil, they will have had their instructions, but it doesn't stop me hoping that Lipkin will produce something even they can't spin.
    beaker, currer and Marg like this.
  6. Mula

Mula Senior Member

The blood group were attempting to build new methods that could be utilized for testing blood stocks, which all laboratories involved in the study failed to complete. This may not have finished that way if they had continued to phase IV. So the tests are not what had been previously used successfully in the Lombardi and Lo studies.
    Adamskitutu, currer and ukxmrv like this.
  7. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama

The way he is, he mght just do that. He said he smelled virus. He is very snart, we will see.
    merylg likes this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I guess I need a definition of "spin". I see several posts above that are "spin". Spin is defined by your perspective.perception.

Also veiled personal attacks which I thought is against the rules. It just gets tiresome.

I'm am NOT talking about all posts. This is my opinion.
  9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

It looks like Phase IV is a prospective study. I don't see how there would be a different result. Would you please explain why you think this.
    Thanks.
  10. Navid

Navid Senior Member

My hope for tuesday is that xmrv is a contaminate....that ME/CFS is not caused by a retrovirus; That Dr. Lipkin and/or the other Dr's have found found big/giant clues leading them in a direction of determining causality of the disease and repurposing of a drug for disease treatment.

I hope our disease is our immune system in overdrive and there is a peptide or protein already discovered that can be used to turn down our overactive immune system....that this treatment does not cause us to feeel worse first...but that when we take it we know it is the right medicine and we will slowly begin to heal and heal fairly quickly......this is what i hope happens on Tues.

I hope VR speaks loudly and with authority that this is a serious disabling, life threatening disease, that Dr. Lipkin and all the other Dr's at the press conference agree....and that they all agree to share their work and knowledge to get us, the sick and suffering on the fast track to recovery.

i don't want to hear conspiracy thoeories.
    i dont want to hear that our disease is all in our heads
    i dont want to hear that it will take 15-20 years to find the answers

i want to see teamwork, comraderie and compassion.

i hope judy m was wrong abt xmrv; but is recognized and praised for what she has done; shone a bright light on this dark little hole and brought attention, publicity and brainpower to the plight of all our suffering......for that we should all be thankful to her.

i thank judy with all my heart and i pray tonite and tomorrow as hard as i can that on tues we are presented with a brighter future; one filled with hope and promise.

i am tired of living a life of loss, sadness and pain.

i want my life back.

i want to respect science and medicine and believe that they really want to help us.

i hope my prayers are answered.

i hope on tuesday i feel positive, happy and hopeful again.
    August59, Spring, Wonko and 10 others like this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Content Team Lead

Cornwall England
    Research First: http://www.research1st.com/2012/09/...&utm_campaign=Feed: Research1st (Research1st)

barbc56 likes this.
  12. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I hope it's retrovirus positive because it would get a lot of research and attention that would lead to treatments.

But my guess is that it will be negative for retroviruses and genuinely so, as I don't really believe the conspiracy theories.

I hope, therefore, that they picked up on something else that may be the cause, and I hope it's something fixable!
    SOC likes this.
  13. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Note that CAA posted a memo on their FB page just 3 hours or so ago:

"The time of the release of the special episode of "This Week in Virology" has been changed to noon on Tuesday, Sept. 18."

https://www.facebook.com/CFIDSAssn
  14. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    I don't give a fek if it's a retrovirus, autoimmune disease, or mutant baboons from Mars living up my arse, just as long as I *KNOW!* :alien:

(and the Weasel's get sentenced to a lifetime on Devil's Island as colonoscopy experimental volunteers :p)
    rosie26 and penny like this.
  15. TessDeco

TessDeco

The time of the TWiV episode has been changed to 12 noon on September 18th but the study results will still be published at 12:01 a.m. in the online journal mBio, right? Is the mBio online journal public access so we will still be able to read the results late tonight at 1201 am?
  16. Firestormm

Firestormm Content Team Lead

Cornwall England
    Yes Tess. As per the release above from Research 1st.
  17. pollycbr125

pollycbr125 Senior Member

yorkshire
  18. TessDeco

TessDeco

Thank you, Firestormm!!
  19. currer

currer Senior Member

20. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    On that chart, New York is currently in EDT (US Daylight Savings Time) not EST . So you're on GMT+1, we're on EMT +1, midnight in New York is 4 AM GMT +1 hr = 5 AM.

See more popular forum discussions.