1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipkin Study Press Conference 18th Sept

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Even if - as I'm assuming - the findings are going to be null on XMRV, I think it's a good thing if Lipkin and his association with ME/CFS as a serious condition worthy of research get a big, press-conference hoopla. He's such a big name that his interest in our disease is valuable PR.

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I thought there was some talk about them looking at (or for) other retroviruses during this study. Maybe they found something interesting that's not just "No XMRV".

Or maybe they are going to explain in more detail what they think happened with the Lombardi and Alter/Lo studies. More than just "It must have been contamination".

beaker likes this.
  3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Well frankly I'm not looking for apologies for XMRV (just part of the normal scientific progress/investigation needed by eliminations to move forward). Not a popularity poll here but sound research in the understanding/findings in ME leading to treatments and cure. So our best.

This a public forum and can be read - in the UK psychiatry holds sway (apparently we are all going out of our tiny minds) - be happy with this research.

currer likes this.
  4. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    It was my understanding that the study being published next week is limited in scope to establishing whether or not XMRV is present. The OTHER study where they look for every possible pathogen is coming along on a much later schedule. Someone please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.

ukxmrv, currer and Enid like this.
  5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    You could very well be right. My memory is very vague on the topic.... but I thought the issue of MLVs similar to XMRV (such as those found by Alter/Lo study) was also to be considered in this study as opposed to the broader pathogens study. After I have a nap, I'll see if I can dig out the basic info on the XMRV study. :ill:

6. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    I cut and pasted this from the other thread about Lipkin, I don't know the original date of the letter but it was posted at PR by Ecoclimber on June 2.

From this letter, it does appear as if the investigation was looking for "a retrovirus" and not solely XMRV.

I would personally be thunderstruck if they come up with some new retrovirus and that's what the song and dance next week is about. From the below, though, it seems that "any finding related to a retrovirus, whether infectious or noninfectious, genetic material, protein, or antibody, may provide insights into disease or allow development of diagnostic tests even if a causative relationship is not established." So they could have come up with some unexplained evidence of a "retroviral presence".

justy, currer and Enid like this.
  7. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Thanks, urbantravels. :)

I think this is the part that stuck in my mind:
    It's the bit about "a retrovirus" rather than "XMRV" that has me wondering....

8. Wally

Wally Senior Member

"Investigators from the multicenter study on CFS/ME and XMRV/pMLV will discuss their findings and future directions." Perhaps I am being too literal with the reading of this one sentence, but I would wager that the words in this sentence ("their findings" and "future directions") were very carefully chosen.

9. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I am pretty sure that next weeks annoucement is the Lipkin Study utilizing only serology samples and looking for retroviruses only.

The CFI study looking at all pathogens using a variety of testing samples, and eventually deciding to utlize spinal fluid samples as well, comes much later down the road. The CFI study has a website also:

http://cfinitiative.org/about-the-initiative/

10. Wally

Wally Senior Member

And the research still underway at Stanford . . .

"Detection of pathogens such as herpes viruses, the Lyme disease agent, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), Toxoplasma gondii, or any unknown pathogen that may be a trigger for chronic diseases such as CFS, CLD or other diseases.We are looking for such pathogens in a broad population of CFS patients at Stanford and comparing the findings to age- and sex-matched controls. Towards this aim we are collaborating with Manisha Desai, PhD, clinical associate professor of medicine, and Holden Maecker, PhD, director, Human Immune Monitoring Core, here at Stanford, and W. Ian Lipkin, MD, Director, Center for Infection & Immunity, John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, and Professor of Neurology and Pathology, and Mady Hornig, MA, MD, Associate Professor of Epidemiology, at Columbia University in New York City. We have met our recruitment goal of over 600 study participants, and are in the process of testing our blood samples for numerous pathogens, both known and unknown." http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/about/projects.html

Unfortunately this study(s) appears to be taking much longer than originally anticipated. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-stanford-study-is-recruiting.18806/
    :( :confused:

currer likes this.
  11. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I guess maybe there is a lot to explain. Presumably how they think the contamination happened, or what they were really picking up or whatever. Complexity that is hard to get across in a paper that the layman with ME (laying-down man) will understand.
    Or maybe lipkin will reaffirm his commitment to finding the cause? Give us hope even though this is negative.
    Either way it should help credibility in the illness because the medical research world cares what he think and says.

I even heard him get a mention in a film the other week - that one with Kate Winslet and the bad flu pandemic? What's it called? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

12. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    "Contagion." It was out last year. I don't recall any mention of Lipkin's name in the actual film (which is fiction), but he was definitely a consultant to the filmmakers.

13. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I hope this study really shows some convincing clinical data of correlation of different pathogens as they may relate to any specific disease. I heard from a patient of his awhile back that he was beginning to get some peer pressure at Stanford from either fellow professors, a specific individual or a group of people associated with Stanford about CFS. They had no more specifics than that and it is possible that it is entirely untrue. Could be why this study is not only looking at CFS, but other diseases as well.

He also did another study last year on HHV-6 and HHV-7 and their reactivation with other pathogens (I think Parvovirus) was one of the main ones. Supposedly he had some concerns or recommendations on commercial lab testing and the accuracy of their results. I've seen an abstract, but I was hoping to get a look at the full paper to see what his concerns were. I know HHV-6 has very low copy numbers and at one time was cross reacting with HHV-7. If anyone is familiar with this study and happens to know where a full version of it is, please forward the link. I'm just now starting to look for it and it very well may be on the HHV-6 website. I'll post back if I run across it.

Thanks

14. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Call the virus XMRV if you want.

But Dr Judy Mikovits and Dr Frank Ruscetti told us a million times.... Tests used cast a wider net and were detecting Mouse retroviruses.

beaker and currer like this.
  15. currer

currer Senior Member

I doubt this study can be final. I am sure it will raise further unanswered questions.

Note the "and MLV"

1. Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus (XMRV) and Murine Leukemia Virus (MLV) in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Under the leadership of W. Ian Lipkin, MD, Director, Center for Infection & Immunity, John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, and Professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University, we are engaged in a National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded, multi-site study analyzing the prevalence of XMRV and MLV in CFS patients.
    http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/about/projects.html

16. currer

currer Senior Member

Anybody spotted this?
    From the Stanford website http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/resources/

"Patient Forums

Our research group created a yahoo group for patients with Infection-Associated CFS to communicate with each other. The postings do not represent the views of our research group. This site is intended only for patients to offer each other support. No medical advice is offered on this site.
    There are other patient forums available as well. We do not endorse or take responsibility for the content of any of these forums, but want to make the links available to those who are interested.

Timaca and merylg like this.
  17. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Yes, contagion, that was it.
    Thanks urban travels.

Kate winslets charachter mentions him when she explains to a group about Ro (thats R zero) rates.
    Can't remember if she said he came up with it or what it was now but he definitely got mentioned by name.

18. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    I believe you - it's a fast-paced movie and it's easy to miss things (or else my leaky brain didn't retain the info)

19. I am a serious skeptic and I really hope I'm wrong.

But I fully believe that Lipkin was brought in to put the retrovirus fire out and explain that retroviruses are endogenous (aka harmless remnants) etc. I studied lots of his videos and this is how he framed it. I think if there was a big finding that no way would they have a "big live" press conference. Only when there is a motive - such as quieting a community down do they do this. With big findings they stay very very very quiet and plan how to address the million afflicted rather than blurt it out live...

I truly hope I'm wrong because I would love a OR any findings to help us in any way.

God Bless,

Elisabeth

xrayspex, ukxmrv and currer like this.
  20. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I doubt if they have heard from "only" committed XMRV CFS patients. There must be other ME patients from epidemics who have contacted them to ask for general retrovirus testing.

Dr Mikovits moved on from soley XMRV a long time ago. She reported on the UK Ashford 50 for example. It would be strange for so long after that event to be limited to XMRV only when Dr Mikovits and the world has moved on.

beaker and currer like this.

See more popular forum discussions.