1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipkin presenting at WPI

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Jun 15, 2011.

1. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    By the way, it looks as if he already has plans to do it. There's a thread about it here.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  3. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Thanks, Bob. It was interesting to read. Good to see that the WPI seem to be confident about the set up. Since all the samples go to Dr. Lipkin's lab, i think this is probably the crucial point, with the most potential for something to go wrong. And i'm not talking about tampering, but about anything that might influence the outcome.

What i don't like too much, is that she says she's aiming at healing, not curing. While curing will probably take longer, i think this always must be the end goal. Also i don't really like the quote at the end of her post, but no problem, i don't have to agree with everything...
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I'm slightly concerned that Ian Lipkin isn't directly overseeing the blood draws.
    I thought that he would set up his own team to draw blood, who would use a standardised and systematic process to draw the blood, and freeze it quickly.
    It seems to me that using so many different teams, and settings, to draw the blood will introduce many unnecessary variables.

I think that she is saying that there currently isn't a cure for ME, but that we should still aim to heal. She isn't saying that we shouldn't seek to find a cure.
  5. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Yes, that's true. But then on the other hand it also reduces the chance for one error to in one place to screw everything up. So i don't know it it's worse this way.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Yes, that's a good point.
  7. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

There is considerably more to his remarks about funding than just ME/CFS, that request for donations also applies to MS, Parkinson's and diabetes. It might also apply to Alzheimer's. He makes it clear powerful new tools are available.

The question to ask the powers that be at NIH is "Are you telling us you don't have $1 million to spend on innovative new research on conditions affecting millions of people because the $25 billion/year you have been getting barely covers the unproductive research which has left these problems where they are?"

See more popular forum discussions.