• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin presenting at WPI

Jemal

This is not about XMRV (though it's possible Lipkin will say something about it), but I think this is the best section for this announcement. If not, a moderator can hopefully move it.

Ian Lipkin, M.D will present his recent work Microbe Hunting, at the Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI) on Friday, June 24, 2011. The presentation, which will review the mechanisms of microbial pathogenesis and routes to proving causation and a staged strategy for surveillance and discovery, will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the WPI at the University of Nevada, Reno Center for Molecular Medicine Auditorium.

More:
http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/WPI_pressrel_061411.pdf

Enid

Thanks Jemal for this and your picking up/watching ongoing researches for us in exciting areas.

Sing

Will we be getting notes, a video or a report afterwards? This does sound hopeful, a sign of respect and collaborative intentions--what we greatly need among our researchers today.

eric_s

Yes, it's interesting. A bit hard to guess why it's happening. Who is it intened for and who initiated it? That would be interesting to know. But good to see they seem to be in contact with each other.

Spring

Maybe while he's there, he can search for contamination in the WP Institute, so we can leave that matter behind!

Jemal

As long as none of the mice, that are running rampantly around Judy's lab, climb in his jacket pocket and he doesn't accidentally take any back to his lab, then maybe it will be OK!

Hehe...
Apparently these mice also favor the blood samples of patients to walk around in, while they ignore the samples of the control group. There must be something in our blood ;)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hehe...
Apparently these mice also favor the blood samples of patients to walk around in, while they ignore the samples of the control group. There must be something in our blood ;)

yes the healthy sample group who for the most test neg to xmrv, some how dodged the contamination????? This still hasnt really been answered and what about all the abnormal cytokine/immune stuff going on, if its produced by your own body it cant be contamination but a sign of some sort of virus???

Bob

Here's his article, Microbe Hunting, that he will be presenting:

http://www.cii.columbia.edu/news/documents/MicrobeHunting_MMBR.pdf

I skimmed the paper and didn't find it very interesting. I thought it was a bit negative and disheartening if anything, for us.
But here are the final few sentences from the paper, which I thought were interesting, and possibly relevent for us...

"There is an increasing
appreciation for the fact that individuals can respond differently
to infectious agents based on genetic and epigenetic factors,
nutritional status, age, exposure history, and simultaneous
infections with other microbes. This is particularly true for
chronic diseases. Thus, it is anticipated that many substantive
advances may come not from technical improvements but from
investments in prospective serial sample collections and an
appreciation that many diseases reflect intersections of genes
and the environment in a temporal context."

eric_s

yes the healthy sample group who for the most test neg to xmrv, some how dodged the contamination????? This still hasnt really been answered and what about all the abnormal cytokine/immune stuff going on, if its produced by your own body it cant be contamination but a sign of some sort of virus???
In a study that was not blinded, differences in how samples are handled could lead to such a result, but i also don't think it's a very convincing argument. In a blinded study... no idea...

Rrrr

lipkin arrives at WPI today and speaks tomorrow. exciting. i hope WPI "wows" him with their knowledge and skill, and he becomes a convert to the world of xmrv (instead of agnostic).

alex3619

lipkin arrives at WPI today and speaks tomorrow. exciting. i hope WPI "wows" him with their knowledge and skill, and he becomes a convert to the world of xmrv (instead of agnostic).

Hi Rrrr, I hope he does NOT become a convert as you put it. Being agnostic is his most valuable feature. I do hope his study converts him, which is due in December. I also hope that he can get a real sense of what the WPI is trying to do, and becomes interested in neuro-immune diseases. We could use someone like him with an ongoing interest in ME/CFS, even if his study is against association with XMRV. Bye, Alex

toddm1960

I think he's visiting WPI because in the early returns they have nailed the blinded samples. Why would he visit if they couldn't repeat their original results?