1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipkin Leak?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Elisa, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/viral-infection-ruled-out-as-cause-of-me-1-2531721

Viral infection ruled out as cause of ME

Published on Tuesday 18 September 2012 00:00
    VIRUSES have nothing to do with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), despite earlier evidence of a link, a study has shown.

The new findings deepen the mystery surrounding the cause of the debilitating condition, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME).

Scientists dismissed previous claims that two viruses, known as XMRV and pMLV, may underlie CFS. “The bottom line is we found no evidence of infection with XMRV and pMLV,” said Dr Ian Lipkin, a member of the research team at Columbia University in New York City. “These results refute any correlation between these agents and disease.”

In 2009 and 2010, separate studies found the two viruses in the blood of CFS patients, raising hopes of identifying an easily treatable cause of the condition. But since then, other investigators have been unable to confirm the results.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  2. Hi all,

FYI

I am not certain the above is legit or an early press leak - but I decided to post it anyway.

I hope for our sake - that's NOT it!

God Bless,

Elisabeth

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    We don't know the actual date and time the actual press embargo ends do we?

4. 12:01 AM from what I know...

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
  6. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Moderators, you might consider combining the several threads that have sprung up about the release of the Lipkin results...

7. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Thanks urbantravels, I will look at merging the threads. :)

8. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Hello all. I am going to close this thread. Please continue your conversation here. Thank you.

Kina.

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    What a BS headline, considering Lipkin and colleagues are doing more virus related studies as we speak.

Enid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

See more popular forum discussions.