New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipkin & CII: Diagnostics Breakthrough Brings Viral Sequencing to Doctors’ Toolkit

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I do think we are lucky to have Ian Lipkin and co doing mecfs research, it's not like he's short of other interesting stuff to do - like this (Lipkin has pioneered a lot of viral detection techniques, so he has form in this area).

2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Do you know how this differs from the VirScan product in terms of method, accuracy, discernment of length and extent of infection, price, and speed?

alkt likes this.
  3. msf

msf Senior Member

Simon, you seem to pay close attention to the big ME studies - how did Lipkin rule out viruses in ME if this hadn´t been invented yet?

alkt likes this.
  4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Lipkin didn't rule out viruses in ME. He has only looked in plasma so far which is just one compartment of the blood and blood is just one compartment of the body.

alkt, SOC, A.B. and 1 other person like this.
  5. msf

msf Senior Member

Ok, but this seem to suggests he didn´t even rule them out there.

6. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

He never published the details of that study so who knows.

7. msf

msf Senior Member

Yeah, that was a bit odd.

8. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    From Stanford's Newsletter dated June 1st, 2015:

High Throughput Sequencing/Pathogen Discovery: Through our continued partnership with Holden Maecker

PhD at Stanford and W. Ian Lipkin MD and Mady Hornig MA, MD at Columbia University, our effort of

looking for pathogens present or abundant in ME/CFS patients has yielded exciting results. We are in the

process of preparing a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.

http://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/chronicfatigue/documents/MECFSNewsletter_Spring_2015.pdf

9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    He used established high-tech methods (see @RL_sparky post above), the breakthrough about this new method is that it allows clinicians to quickly screen for a large number of viruses, work that take a long time using conventional methods in a lab. As Halycon said, only results from plasma have been released (but not yet published):
    You don't ask much! Sorry, I don't know, but did wonder myself. The technology is quite different. This new method detects viral DNA/RNA, while the VirScan approach detects viral proteins. As for the rest, I don't know but am interested if anyone has more information.

rosie26, SOC, merylg and 5 others like this.
  10. Never Give Up

rosie26, SOC, Simon and 2 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

We get bogged down in details sometimes here. Please keep in mind that we are still in the early stages of serious ME/CFS research, and a lot of what is going on currently is exploratory and not definitive.

Little Bluestem and SOC like this.
  12. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
  13. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Never Give Up, RL_sparky and Simon like this.
  14. msf

msf Senior Member

Oops, didn´t notice the clinicians bit, sorry.

15. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    beaker, merylg, Never Give Up and 4 others like this.
  16. Never Give Up

It looks a little like the hepatitis C virus, which can cause permanent liver damage, and a little like the human pegivirus, which appears to be harmless, the team reports in the journal mBio.

They've named it human hepegivirus-1 (HHpgV-1).

Am I the only one that finds this name choice humorous?

Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.
  17. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    nandixon and Valentijn like this.
  18. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    That seems rather insulting to those who have been doing research( yes serious research !) for the last 30 years --DeFreitas,Cheney, Bell, Peterson, Kilmas,Grufferman, Rowe, Stratton, Streeten, Stewart,Jessop, and so many more in so many countries, And for those who came before them ( Ramsey, Parish ) and the Icelandic outbreak before that certainly had doctors working on it.
    This is not a new disease. They were all "serious" researchers.

Their groundwork, and unwillingness to give up on their patients and /or lab work laid the groundwork for what is going on now.

Yes, we have new technology -- as there has a been along the way-- and new insights. But this is not early serious research. I hope we will look back and see this as the beginning of the last chapter. Who knows.

halcyon likes this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I think you have misinterpreted what I am saying, particularly given my track record over many years of supporting those people (including financially, to the extent I can,) and arguing for that kind of research.

But IMHO it is beyond dispute that we currently have no definitive answers and are still in the early stages of serious research (especially compared to other major diseases), and I do not accept that saying that in any way impugns the work and dedication of those names you have listed (and others).

I see nothing in my original statement that needs modifying, other than perhaps to add that the situation seems to be changing in our favour, in the USA at least.

:grumpy:

rosie26, SOC and Simon like this.
  20. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Perhaps this should be its own new headline, but its interesting this came right before this other announcement:

Virome Analysis of Transfusion Recipients Reveals a Novel Human Virus That Shares Genomic Features with Hepaciviruses and Pegiviruses

http://mbio.asm.org/content/6/5/e01466-15

Also collaboration with Lipkin lab.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.