1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Chronic Fatigue Initiative and Interview with Mady Hornig
In a follow-up article to the recent IACFS/ME conference presentation in San Francisco, and after speaking at length with Dr. Mady Hornig, 'searcher' delves deeper into the impressive work being completed by the Chronic Fatigue Initiative, and focuses in on those cytokine results ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lipid peroxidation is elevated in female patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free Full text at: http://www.medscimonit.com/fulltxt.php?ICID=881301

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The difference here is 1.41 mmol/L (healthy controls) vs 1.27 (CFS) = 0.14.

0.14/0.025=5.6

So one could say healthy controls appear to have a 5.6 x 2%-4%=11.2-22.4% reduction in atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk compared to people with CFS. Although such a linear relationship may not be accurate for this specific comparison.
  3. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Important research from Serbia.
    Seems to conclude that women with 'CFS' have higher levels of MDA (Malondialdehyde) & lower HDL so at risk of furred arteries.

Will check out MDA on Wiki .. not heard of before.

But 'CFS ... affects mostly women from lower socio economic classes' ???!!! Is that some 'gem' they picked up from the CDC website?!!
  4. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    MDA - Malondialdehyde -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10064852

I understand some of it, but hopefully one of the forum biology/chemistry wizards could explain please?? :) Thank you in advance ...!

General gist I think is that Higher MDA also = higher cancer risk.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They referenced three Leonard Jason papers. They were all actually from the one study (Chicago prevalence study).

What they used in the study was different (CFS group and control group):
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Anyone else think the positive bit in this doesn't match Figure 3:
    To me, the regression line in Figure 3 looks like it is sloping down (a negative slope) (when one measures it, it slopes down) which would be a negative correlation. Maybe I'm missing something. I wrote to the authors but they claimed it is correct (although whether they looked again, I don't know).
  8. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That's weird - the low socio-economic classes - how would they know; was this an epidemiological study? I don't think so. Jason found higher prevelance in Hispanics in Chicago I believe so it may be true - although with the vague definition you can fit alot in there....

whoops I missed that earlier comment.

Still high MDA backs up the MERUK study I believe and is consistent with every study on oxidative stress that I know of......another area begging for more research.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Incidentally, in case anyone else is confused.
    When I read the abstract initially, I thought the second line might apply to a subgroup.
    However the full paper makes clear that it is the whole group they are referring to.
  10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    A subgroup might have been nice......actually (always happy to find subsets :))
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, I think this research backs up MERUK (and some other) research. Nice to have an area with a bit of consistency.
  12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, its really a strong area.....so that suggests an inflammatory state to me...if they could just tie down where its coming from...

Then theres heart rate variability, low blood volume, NK cell problems, immune activation, some HPA axis problems...I'm sure there's more.how do they all fit together??? Hopefully XMRV will be the tie that binds.

See more popular forum discussions.