• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Linzess approved by FDA for IBS-C

MonkeyMan

"The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved a new drug, Linzess, to treat irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. The drug, known generically as linaclotide, speeds up bowel movements and reduces pain in many patients with the disorder. It is the second product on the market aimed at the population, following Amitiza (lubiprostone), which was approved in January 2006 but may have more side effects than Linzess."

As has been discussed on this board, this drug may help improve the integrity of the gut wall, which may have implications for those CFS/ME patients with leaky gut. See the full story at the link below.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-new-ibs-drug-20120831,0,4672664.story

Drew

Waverunner

Thanks for posting this. That's what I was waiting for.

EDIT: It will be available for sale in the fourth quarter.

Waverunner

Linaclotide just received recommendation through EMA. The European Commission will likely follow this recommendation and approve it in Europe. Market name will be Constella.

taniaaust1

If anyone hears anything about this drug and Australia let me know .. Im currently on laxatives due to my IBS-C as fibre isnt enough for it.

Sorry for the OT, but I keep reading this as 'Laziness approved by the FDA...'.

Now that it will be marked as my having posting here, hopefully I'll stop being surprised by it!

Waverunner

Sorry for the OT, but I keep reading this as 'Laziness approved by the FDA...'.

Now that it will be marked as my having posting here, hopefully I'll stop being surprised by it!

:D Happened to me, too. I still wonder what illness they approved laziness for.

MonkeyMan

Thanks for your optimism, maybe you are strong enough to keep it to yourself next time...

We do need to keep hope alive, but to be honest, I'm not expecting that this stuff will have much of an effect on leaky gut, let alone CFS. What I expect WILL, if it ever gets past clinical trials, is larazotide. Larazotide is specifically designed to tighten the junctions in the gut wall, whereas linaclotide is not necessarily going to have this effect. But we shall see.

Drew

Waverunner

We do need to keep hope alive, but to be honest, I'm not expecting that this stuff will have much of an effect on leaky gut, let alone CFS. What I expect WILL, if it ever gets past clinical trials, is larazotide. Larazotide is specifically designed to tighten the junctions in the gut wall, whereas linaclotide is not necessarily going to have this effect. But we shall see.

Drew

Yes, Linaclotide probably will be no game-changer for CFS but anyone, who has CFS with lots of allergies and a tendency for constipation might benefit from it. Less gut wall contact might desensitize the human body again.

Regarding Larazotide, I'm looking forward to it. The problem is, that the phase II trial ended with mixed results and there still is the chance that it might fail in phase III.

MonkeyMan

Waverunner, I assume you've taken the leaky gut (lactulose/mannitol) test and the results were positive?

I took the test about a month ago and, to my great astonishment, the results were negative. My symptoms all pointed towards leaky gut ... a history of antibiotic usage, profound fatigue after every meal, etc... and yet the test results suggest that my gut lining is fine. Really threw me for a loop.

So now I've ordered another home test, for bad bacteria and/or parasites in the gut, on the theory that they can release massive toxins into the body without necessarily compromising the gut-wall's integrity.

Drew