• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Links to media coverage of the Naviaux study (Aug 30, 2016)

sarah darwins

Written by Andrew O’Brien who "is a chartered physiotherapist and the owner of Wannarun Physiotherapy and Running Clinic at Westport Leisure Park. He can be contacted on 083 1593200 or at www.wannarun.ie"

So why he should know more than bugger all about ME/CFS isn't clear.

For information, this is County Mayo in Ireland, not the Mayo Clinic!

Hutan

There there are so many ways an article about ME can get things wrong that even the most well meaning of efforts can fall short of what we would hope for.

If I was reading that Santa Rosa article and knew little about ME, I'd come away thinking that this is a disease of people with Type A personalities, people who have pushed themselves too hard. So, while it may well have a biological basis, it is really just 'burnout'.

I don't think there is good evidence for that view. So much of the evidence relevant to the idea relies on surveys of diagnosed patients. And determination, financial resources and self confidence (things a type A person may well have more of) make diagnosis more likely.

mfairma

@Hutan, definitely. It's hard because people often mean well, but good intentions come up against, at least for me, a lack of patience from seeing years of the same sort of half-baked, informed-by-the-dominant-yet-wrong-narrative descriptions.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
There there are so many ways an article about ME can get things wrong that even the most well meaning of efforts can fall short of what we would hope for.

If I was reading that Santa Rosa article and knew little about ME, I'd come away thinking that this is a disease of people with Type A personalities, people who have pushed themselves too hard. So, while it may well have a biological basis, it is really just 'burnout'.

I don't think there is good evidence for that view. So much of the evidence relevant to the idea relies on surveys of diagnosed patients. And determination, financial resources and self confidence (things a type A person may well have more of) make diagnosis more likely.

Harrison, now 21, is one of an estimated 1 to 2 million Americans with chronic fatigue syndrome, a debilitating illness that can transform hardworking, type-A personalities, into patients who, in some cases, cannot work and can barely take care of themselves.

The above could be read as just the author's way of saying CFS can happen to anyone, not just lazy, depressed types. I agree that any reference to personality types is unneccesary and unhelpful. I thought the rest of the article was very good.

Hutan

I thought the rest of the article was very good.
Yes, it was. And I mean no disrespect to Brittany and her family who came across very well.

The above could be read as just the author's way of saying CFS can happen to anyone, not just lazy, depressed types.
Yes, it could.

Harrison, now 21, is one of an estimated 1 to 2 million Americans with chronic fatigue syndrome, a debilitating illness that can transform hardworking, type-A personalities, into patients who, in some cases, cannot work and can barely take care of themselves.
But all it would take is an 'even', as in 'a debilitating illness that can transform even hardworking, type-A personalities, into patients...' to remove the potential for mis-understanding.

I guess part of the problem may be that not too many pre-illness lazy slobs or even just averagely accomplished people are lining up to be a poster child for the illness and even fewer writers are selecting such people to write about. And it makes a much better story to emphasise any pre-illness activity and accomplishment to better contrast with the post-illness loss.

So everyone gets a skewed idea of who this illness is affecting and it becomes easy to assume that the 'type 'A' personality' is a key cause.

And so it is important in publicity to emphasise that the illness can strike anyone. (Something that the Millions Missing campaign is doing very well).

Last edited: