• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Links to media coverage of the Naviaux study (Aug 30, 2016)

sarah darwins

That said, online leftish papers like the Indie and particularly the Huffington Post have been very supportive of patients. And The Mail would turn on us in a flash if someone stripped to their bikini for pics and said that CBT cured their ME and made them go back to their cheating husband. So maybe that's all just a load of old bollocks. But it kept me occupied for about 15 minutes, so that's all right.

Heh. I've attempted to write along similar lines several times and always ended up quitting on it. There's definitely something up, politically speaking, isn't there. But it's very difficult to pin down.

Maybe it's just a sign of how successfully the psychs have turned ME/CFS into a house of mirrors that for now people can find a reflection of whatever view they wish in there.

worldbackwards

Maybe it's just a sign of how successfully the psychs have turned ME/CFS into a house of mirrors that for now people can find a reflection of whatever view they wish in there.
Quite true. I think it leads back to what I was saying about advocacy; if you can distract from the question of whether you care or not and, above all, throw in a theory and make everyone feel clever and superior (we all love to feel clever and superior), then you can put off the other key question, the one where you ask if any of these people actually know what they're on about, indefinitely. Or so far, anyway.

Kalliope

Even in Norway now from forskning.no, a news-site for research. The article is based upon the press release from Science Media Centre, but also includes a comment from a Norwegian professor Ola Saugstad. He is a paediatrician, and has been involved with ME for many years visiting the most severe cases, holding lectures, talking to media and has also become an ME-researcher. Nice fellow!

Have translated (very quickly) the text concerning prof Saugstads comments:

"According to professor in children's diseases at the University of Oslo, Ola Didrik Saugstad, the trial has already reached international notice, and is one of several trials which has arrived during the last months which demonstrates that ME is a biological disease.

Saugstad has for a long time followed research on ME, and is one of those who has criticised the treatment of ME-pasients in Norway. He also has a son who has had the disease for many years.

- The trial is important also because it points towards the possibility to identify one or several biomarkers for ME, in other words to develop a diagnostic test. The trial can also contribute to new treatment of ME, and that harmful attitudes towards ME, which is still widespread, disappears."

Feel free to click on the link to the article and provide it lots of traffic :)

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

sarah darwins

How gare-stly. The woman in the picture appears to have done her hair, put on her make-up and lip-gloss, then slept all night and woken up with everything immaculately still in place to cast a reproachful glance at her alarm clock.

Be fair, it's French. In a minute she'll light a Gauloise and say something bleak and profound, then the camera will pull back to reveal she's sharing her bed with a noted professor of psychiatry.

slysaint

@Cheshire where did they get this from??
"Ils ont constaté que les bactéries intestinales de ces personnes étaient bien moins diverses que dans le cas d'une personne lambda."