1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Link Discovered Between The Nervous And Immune Systems - Might Lead To New Treatments

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, Dec 21, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Tom Kindlon posted this to co-cure on Dec 1. I haven't been able to find it on the forum, but hope it's not a repost.

[TK: I know that one study in the ME/CFS field found that the (relatively
    gentle) exertion/activity of going from home to a hospital appointment was
    found to increase TGF-beta (mentioned below) in CFS patients. Ref: White
    PD, Nye KE, Pinching AJ, Yap TM, Power N, Vleck V, 10. et al. Immunological
    changes after both exercise and activity in chronic fatigue syndrome: a
    pilot study. J Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2004; 12: 51-66. Tom]

2. starcycle

starcycle Guest

But is CFS/ME an autoimmune condition? I think that it's probably not, that it's probably at least partially an immune reaction to actual pathogens. I'm not sure I would want to turn off my response to that, but maybe it would help CFS without causing other problems. ?

3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

?? me too starcycle. Can't wait til it's all unraveled.

BTW Have wanted to say I love your signature.

4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Mind-body...

Hi IslandFinn and StarCycle,

Thanks for posting the study IF! :)

But with the greatest of respect to the researchers, stepping back and looking at the big picture...is this really a 'discovery' or just another example of what some already know...that the mind and the body are actually connected to each other? :)

Alternative practioners, ayurvedic and traditional chinese medicine have been saying this for decades, if not centuries. I guess in a way, it is a 'discovery' in the respect that this does help to confirm the mind-body connection to the 'autoimmune' illnesses they describe.

Starcycle: Personally, I agree. I don't think CFS is an autoimmune disease. And don't quote me, but I've read in several places where some question the theory of autoimmunity. They believe that the body/immune system isn't actually attacking 'itself', but is trying to attack certain viruses/bacteria/other infections that hide deep inside our cells or organs (like the thyroid for example).

Just my two cents,

Dan

5. starcycle

starcycle Guest

Or mercury and other toxic metals. ;-)

6. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    What's stressful about seeing family for many of us any time is having a severe neuroendocrineimmune disease that many family member see as All In Your Head.

Interesting article IF and so is the study you mention at the bottom. Ever since I got chronic EBV I swear I've been feeling like this is happening in my body. I'm not surprised. :l

Right danny, looks like once again, you and I are thinking along the same lines and I agree with the theory that this response is happening from our immune systems trying to attack viruses and bacteria etc.... which I think can make it seem like an Autoimmune disease.

starcycle: I like your name-- do or did you cycle?
    Also I like your Sig too but I was wondering if you like the idea of changing the word "virus" to "retrovirus"?

7. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Yes...

Totally agree. The list is endless...so many possible issues, contaminants, plastics, solvents, etc., things that perhaps because of a methylation problem or other dysfunction...we can't process these out or detoxify them like most so-called 'healthy' folks.

I agree w/both of you, but just want to emphasize that it's not just about viruses or bacteria, or even retroviruses IMHO. The "terrain" needs to be addressed as well.

8. starcycle

starcycle Guest

Fluoride is implicated in thyroid disease, too - and I would suspect it's involved in a lot of other chronic illnesses, lupus, etc.

I used to, probably about 12-15 or so miles a day. Feels like another lifetime. I ran before that, before pronation got the better of me and gave me shin splints. I would love to be able to ride again... maybe someday...

9. muffin

muffin Senior Member

USA!
    Stress Affects ALL Diseases - No brainer

I thought this went without saying and was just known and understood for the last 50 or more years since Selye's study. Stress exacerbates illness, disease, etc. and probably helps to kick-start many diseases, etc.
    And this is why I get so mad at the waste of money by CDC/CFS William Reeves Emory University MIND-BODY PROGRAM and their waste of money and time on stress and its affects on CFIDS. Stress on a body and its affects are so wide-spread and general that this Mind-Body "work' should be done elsewhere and not with CFIDS money. But Reeves wants to play shrink and blame the patient and our "inability" to deal with stress and childhood abuse. Were that the case, the majority of the world from the begining of time should have CFIDS from stress and childhood abuse - right?

GET RID OF WILLIAM REEVES!!!

10. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Thankyou for posting the article islandfinn.
    My brother-in -law was on dopamine for Parkinsons and unfortunetly it didn't work for him.
    I know when I'm stressed my adrenals become so overworked(they're already low)
    my fatique gets a bigger invitaion.

11. Cloud

Cloud Guest

If stress "caused" ME/CFS, everyone who had ever been in combat would have it.....doesn't get more stressful than that. Of course I'm not talking about the more recent GWS that seems likely to be the same monster we deal with. Anyhow, the "blown fuse" theory just doesn't work. Stress as a trigger...Indeed! But not a sole cause.

See more popular forum discussions.