Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Leukaemia

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by wastwater, Jul 23, 2016.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I was wondering what causes leukaemia?
    Here a a few maybes in descending order.
    Benzene
    Smoking
    Any other toxic chemicals eg vehicle fuel pesticides,solvents
    Genetics
    Does Epstein Barr cause it?
    Then unusual infections containing leukaemia in the name ie bovine leukaemia virus
    Is that about it?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Anything that can damage DNA can cause cancer. Some people with damaged genes might be at higher risk. Some very rare cancers are probably entirely genetic, but very very few survive to adulthood with those. Cancer is essentially cells that replicate without control. The usual checks and balances fail. It might take seven or more genetic failures before it starts, most in key cell replication related genes.

So all mutagens may induce cancer, including leukemia.

wastwater likes this.
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i think EBV causes a kind of lymphoma....but maybe it causes all kinds of stuff

wastwater likes this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/leukemia/basics/risk-factors/con-20024914

5. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Just to add the retrovirus HTLV II is associated with Hairy Cell Leukaemia and it is mainly found in Asia I believe.

Animal vaccines are also acknowledged triggers of leukaemia. My aunt's dog Chamois died of leukaemia after receiving her annual shot and the vet published a paper on the case as he said it was a well-known risk with animal vaccines. So what about human vaccines??????

wastwater likes this.
  6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I don't have leukemia or even think I'm at risk of it but I may have a genetic fault at 13q14 and this seems to involve function of B cells,I don't know how common faults around this location maybe.ie might not be that rare
    http://www.nature.com/leu/journal/v14/n3/full/2401644a.html
    I could only find one paper mentioning cfs and 13q14 and it leans towards mood disorder
    http://www.neurores.org/index.php/neurores/article/viewFile/86/90
    But the actual gene FOXO1A is this mentioned in Griffiths work and Julia newtons?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.