• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Letters to Congress

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I wanted to add these to another post. I believe it was Tania's that was entitled letters to Congress. But, ofcourse, I can't find it. I wish I was better at this computer stuff. Anyway, here are some responses I received.

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for contacting me about Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Retrovirus . It is good to hear from you.
I appreciate your willingness to share your family's personal story with me, and I understand your concerns. Scientists at the Whittemore Peterson Institute released a study in October 2009 citing a potential connection between chronic fatigue syndrome and XMRV. The study also identified XMRV DNA in some healthy individual's blood cells - suggesting XMRV could be transmitted through blood transfusion or transplantation. In response, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it may be possible to transmit XMRV through blood transfusions, however, the CDC also stressed that no XMRV transmission event had yet been identified causing infection or other related illnesses. The CDC believes that there is not enough research data to make that determination.
You will be interested to know that the Department of Health and Human Services and the CDC are working together with private industry and academic research scientists to conduct several studies evaluating XMRV blood transmission risk - and links to any disease resulting from transmission to transfusion patients. If a link is found, HHS and the CDC indicate they will take action to reduce the risk. In the meantime, know that I will remember your comments and concerns as research in this area continues.
Thanks for taking the time to share your views with me. I value your input.

John Barrasso, M.D.
United States Senator

Email from Senator Enzi
InboxX

Reply |Mike@enzi.senate.gov to
show details Jun 8

June 8, 2010

Dear Rebecca:

Thank you for your additional emails and follow up article regarding XMRV.
I will keep your thoughts in mind should we discuss this issue.
Thank you for contacting me. I rely on ideas and suggestions from the people of Wyoming.
Sincerely,

Michael B. Enzi
United States Senator

MBE:kd

Dear Rebecca:

I am so very sorry to hear about your current situation with your family. Please know your family is in Diana and my prayers.

The National Cancer Institute is working to develop diagnostic tools so that the prevalence of XMRV in the general public can be determined and its' association with disease can be examined. The origin and mode of XMRV transmission in human populations are key public health issues that NCI scientists are addressing.

I have strongly supported the increase in funding to find more effective treatments and cures for multiple of diseases. I am hopeful that someday we may relegate this and many more diseases to the medical history books.

Sincerely,

Michael B. Enzi
United States Senator

P.S. You can get a more complete view of all my activities in the Senate by visiting my web page and also signing up for my e-newsletter. Visit enzi.senate.gov for more information.

MBE:eek:d

I wrote a followup letter to Senator Barrasso attempting to explain that the follow-up studies of the Whittmore Peterson study where not actual follow-up studies because of the methods used to isolate XMRV and because of different cohorts. He wrote me back to say thank you and told me to keep him updated on anything new that comes up. Unfortunately, I cannot find that letter.

Senator Barrasso is an M.D. and Congressman Enzi is on the health committee. As I understand, they have some influence over the state health agencies. I would like to write a followup letter, but am not sure what to write. Does anyone have any ideas on what should be included?