• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Let's talk Mucous

Pea

He has like 600 mg. potassium, and B1. Maybe I should increase the potassium. I don't think he is on any natural diuretics.

For anybody else reading, do not do antihistimines. I think he was detoxing which made the mucous worse. Got some Xylitol for his neti pot, that really helped, went back to Mucinex, some euclyptus pills, clears the sinuses.

The holistic pharmacist mentioned Quercetin for inflammation. I see it mentioned on Dr. Amy's site. Anybody try this? I took one yesterday and got a headache, but there was also a weather front coming through.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, i havent read through the entire thread, just the first page. I have a close relationship with mucous, it's been following me around most of my life. I have Asthma as well as lung fibrosis. I've had pneumonia twice, pleurisy, bronchitis more times than i can count, chronic sinusitis, hay fever, allergies, MCS, severe systemic candida. The only thing that eventually calmed down my mucous was giving up smoking (yes hard to believe i ever did with all that going on) and i mean completely stop. Then my mucous got worse for about two years and i striaght away ended up in bed with severe pneumonia. 3 years on it is all so much better - and i didnt smoke much either - i couldnt because my lungs wouldnt allow it.

As far as i can tell you cannot evaluate this kind of thing properly until the person has been clear of smoking for some while. I was one of those people complaining about my congestion, my sore throat, my cough, being grumpy etc - and all the while i was making it so much worse by my own behaviour. Sorry to bang on, but i do feel quite strongly about the whole smoking thing, especially in relation to those with M.E.
I do hope he finds some relief soon, Justy.

greenshots

Quercetin is supposed to be good for alotta things but I'm pretty sure its a methyl group so keep in mind that adding too many of these type of supplements means bigtime cycle start up!

Also, the Air Power may have less guiafensin ( which means I use two sometimes) but it dosn't have all the other crap in it like Mucinex. But considering he's probably lived like every other American the past 40+ years, he can probably handle some poison, especially since he's probably methylating better on the supplements.

Angela

Hi, my friend who I'm helping through methylation has this thick, stringy mucous in his head/nasal passages, goes into his throat. This has been going on for years, although it seems to have gotten worse lately.

Monday he began some new supplements to help his dopamine and seratonin. Question is, would it be safe if he tried one decongestant (pseudonephrine)? It says do not take if you are on an MAOI inhibitor. I know that has something to do with dopamine, so would the pseudonephrine cause too much dopamine affect in combo with supplements, or would it cancel out the affect of the supplements? they never say WHY/which way for the caution.

Nobody seems to be able to tell me WHY he has mucous. It's not a cold, he isn't itchy or sneezy. (He is grumpy tho, LOL).

Seriously, it isn't a sinus infection - the mucous is whitish with beige in it, and he doesn't have pressure or a headache. He had a bunch of lab tests which I thought may point to some auto-immune thing causing the mucous, but nothing was positive.

He does the neti pot, and takes Mucinex, drinks a lot of water now, and is reducing his dairy intake. Yesterday the mucous was really bad and he took an aspirin and said it was better.

Will this mucous just clear with the methylation? By mucous having gotten worse, I hope that means the methylation is finally working, but that doesn't make sense.

He also used to be on high doses of C but now only on 500 mg.; I'm wondering if that helped with it previously.

In the past, every year around this time (March) he felt funky, tired, and his doctor would put him on azithromycin and he always felt better after that.

Also I take an apple cider vinegar pill which really helps with my dairy-related mucous (the liquid ACV didn't help), but they now think he has high stomach acid so I'm leary of ACV for him.

Any insights appreciated, or ask your own mucous questions.

Hi, my friend who I'm helping through methylation has this thick, stringy mucous in his head/nasal passages, goes into his throat. This has been going on for years, although it seems to have gotten worse lately

This is me completely. I've tried the mucinex, but it doesn't seem to help. I think because the congestion is in my sinuses and not the lungs. But, it gets worse when I have gut troubles. I've just started the short cut protocol from Dr. Yasko, added some of the vitamin/mineral supplementation that was recommended from my UEE and Hair Analysis, and am using the Be Calm for the GABA/Glutimate balancing.

On the positive side, I'm sleeping much better. On the negative, I have started breaking out with acne on the sides of my neck, and the sinus drainage (which I've had for years) makes me feel like I've got a head full of thick syrup. It drains into my throat and makes me cough, terribly sometimes. Decongestants seem to help more than anything, but I hate to keep using them. I believe I need to work on h-pylori. It has been an issue in the past, I don't think I've ever gotten rid of it.

I've been on a dairy free/gluten free diet for years now, which helps, but I honestly don't tolerate any grains, nuts or beans for long. The h-pylori protocol recommends less meat, but what do I eat? Why does the baking soda need to be administered with a meal? Would it work as well if the protocol was done between meals? Any help to give me some direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Critterina

@Pea ,
Has your friend tried reducing his intake of histamines? If so, did it help the mucous? For me, the mucous, including in the lungs, was a response to histamines in my diet. I have gotten off all my breathing meds now, including foradil, symbicort, spiriva, albuterol, AstePro, afrin, mucinex and long-acting pseudoephedrine. At my worst I was taking most of these without much effect, so I'd take predisone, too. If he hasn't tried a low histamine diet, it's worth a shot.
Bless you for helping your friend so.
Crit

@Pea ,
Has your friend tried reducing his intake of histamines? If so, did it help the mucous? For me, the mucous, including in the lungs, was a response to histamines in my diet. I have gotten off all my breathing meds now, including foradil, symbicort, spiriva, albuterol, AstePro, afrin, mucinex and long-acting pseudoephedrine. At my worst I was taking most of these without much effect, so I'd take predisone, too. If he hasn't tried a low histamine diet, it's worth a shot.
Bless you for helping your friend so.
Crit
As for myself, anymore it seems that there are more foods that I react to than those that are okay. And, it's not only foods. It's things that I breath in, like if someone wears heavy perfume, or smoke and the chemical smells. Now those do affect my lung congestion. The food is more sinus.
I do think I want to concentrate on the digestion. Treat for h-pylori. Yasko suggests something like 3 weeks on 3 weeks off (I think). How long should this continue so that I can be sure that I've taken care of them?

Critterina

As for myself, anymore it seems that there are more foods that I react to than those that are okay. And, it's not only foods. It's things that I breath in, like if someone wears heavy perfume, or smoke and the chemical smells. Now those do affect my lung congestion. The food is more sinus.
I do think I want to concentrate on the digestion. Treat for h-pylori. Yasko suggests something like 3 weeks on 3 weeks off (I think). How long should this continue so that I can be sure that I've taken care of them?

Oh, me too! There is a woman at work who wears a really nice perfume, Black Iris, and not too much of it, but I started reacting from 3 cubes away! Fortunately she's really nice and will stop wearing it. Same with the guy who smokes a pipe outside. So much sinus pain!

Sorry, I know nothing about treating H. pylori. I have low stomach acid and used a product by American Health (white box with green print) that has enzymes and probiotics that you take with meals. (TMI warning: It turned the BMs brown and smooth, not a lot of visible undigested food.) I really like it, but it was out of stock for a couple months. Just got more yesterday. I'm so pleased! I would definitely recommend it if you're building back up and have low stomach acid.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
He should at least get a Nelli - Pot or Nelli - Bottle to keep all that mucous washed out. After I used it for awhile mine went away on it's on, but I think I used a nasal steroid for about a month or so afterward,

It was horrible though and I avoided going anywhere cause there wasn't a Kleenex strong to hold it back and my nose was so red from paper towels until I started using aloe lotion on it.

Freddd

thanks, Kina. I'm going to have him try one.

In the meantime, I was looking up things relating to this, and I ran across H pylori... His new naturopath thinks he has H pylori. I am wondering if this is the cause of the mucous. There is some kind of inflammation going on in him, and this could explain it.

We were already seeing his PCP Monday re: the head mucous and I'm going to ask about H P. Funny the gastro never tested for it, but why am I not surprised.

He also used to be on a high dose of Vitamin C (ascorbate), and since reduced. Mucous seems to have gotten worse now, and so I think the C helped with the inflammation. His methylfolate was reduced too. I guess it could be a lot of things!

Hi Pea,
A person on an MAOI taking pseudo ephedrine CAN BE KILLED by it. It has a potentially fatal outcome. Please don't have him "take one".

A lack of MeCbl/methylfolate can cause thick sticky mucous as the deficiency damages the mucous producing epithelial cells. It leads to chronic sinus infections, pneumonias, raspy voice and so on. I had it. I am cured of it. AdoCbl and LCF are need to be sure of healing. Zinc is a cofactor of AdoCbl in dealing with inflammation.

Freddd

This may be the answer. In particular, the "Constantly congested nose/sinuses with unusually thick mucus."

Hi Hip,

I had it all my life. It is MeCbl and l-methylfolate deficiencies. I am also over it except sometimes during long methyltrap episodes such as with glutathione.

Also, after starting MeCbl (with all the basics circa 2003) I have never again renewed any of my asthma meds, or taken any. I take no more pseudoephedrine, no more antihistamines, no more Compazine suppositories. I have no more MCS, asthma or seasonal allergies to speak of. It took sufficient l-methylfolate to get rid of MCS completely.

Oh, me too! There is a woman at work who wears a really nice perfume, Black Iris, and not too much of it, but I started reacting from 3 cubes away! Fortunately she's really nice and will stop wearing it. Same with the guy who smokes a pipe outside. So much sinus pain!

Sorry, I know nothing about treating H. pylori. I have low stomach acid and used a product by American Health (white box with green print) that has enzymes and probiotics that you take with meals. (TMI warning: It turned the BMs brown and smooth, not a lot of visible undigested food.) I really like it, but it was out of stock for a couple months. Just got more yesterday. I'm so pleased! I would definitely recommend it if you're building back up and have low stomach acid.

Yes, I hate to be around perfume and cologne. I don't want to be a bother to people, but I can actually taste those things after I breathe them in. That's weird I know, but its the truth.
Mine is tied to digestion for sure, because when the guts are happy, the congestion is gone. The worst days are when my intestinal tract is acting up, then I get something like muscle cramps or nerves being irritated around the top of my right shoulder. Those nerves travel up my neck and into my right temple for a really nasty headache. If I push on the shoulder, the pain throbs in my temple. I'm not exactly sure what comes first. The shoulder pain or the stomach irritation, but they are related for sure.

Hi Hip,

I had it all my life. It is MeCbl and l-methylfolate deficiencies. I am also over it except sometimes during long methyltrap episodes such as with glutathione.

Also, after starting MeCbl (with all the basics circa 2003) I have never again renewed any of my asthma meds, or taken any. I take no more pseudoephedrine, no more antihistamines, no more Compazine suppositories. I have no more MCS, asthma or seasonal allergies to speak of. It took sufficient l-methylfolate to get rid of MCS completely.

I hope if I can get the deficiencies taken care of, this will clear up for me also. You say you are off of the medicines, do you continue with many supplements?

Freddd

I hope if I can get the deficiencies taken care of, this will clear up for me also. You say you are off of the medicines, do you continue with many supplements?

Hi a1wwbrew,

I continue with a full range of supplements. I am long over (7+ years) ME, FMS and CFS. Further I no longer have congestive heart failure for more than a year now. I don't take the diuretic any more. I am not over Subacute Combined Degeneration, damage caused by long term b12/folate deficiencies. I was also broken in half sideways by a guy running a red light, and that damage is for life. To maintain nerve functioning and keep SACD more or less in partial remission I have to take a full range of vitamins. I will never get over the inability to use folic acid, folinic acid or veggie folates. That appears genetic. So does the specific need for l-carnitine fumarate. The meds I remain on are pain meds, Levothyroxine and testosterone . I just had a shingles vaccination and this years flu vaccine. Oh yes, I also was able to stop Provigil 10 years ago as well when my sleep disorders went away. I was also able to stop 2400mg of ibuprofen a day when the inflammation was gone. I went from $1500/month pharmacy bill to $50/month pharmacy bill.

Nobody seems to be able to tell me WHY he has mucous. It's not a cold, he isn't itchy or sneezy. (He is grumpy tho, LOL).
I was grumpy for 30 years of methyltrap or partial methylation block. It was part of the CNS b12 and folate deficiency. We (at another forum) called the irritable grumpy mood "Mr. Hyde as opposed to the good natured kindly Dr. Jeckyl. It can come and go with the ACTIVE B12s, LCF and methylfolate.

ahmo

@a1wvbrew You might find the GAPS diet helpful. It's more than just dairy and gluten free. I've been on the diet nearly 2 years now. For me it's an extremely limited diet, as I've got sulfur and histamine intolerances. I never would have figured out that I was reacting to these foods if I'd not already been eating so few foods, and so could track these symptoms. There are many blogs and forums. cheers, ahmo

Hi a1wwbrew,

I continue with a full range of supplements. I am long over (7+ years) ME, FMS and CFS. Further I no longer have congestive heart failure for more than a year now. I don't take the diuretic any more. I am not over Subacute Combined Degeneration, damage caused by long term b12/folate deficiencies. I was also broken in half sideways by a guy running a red light, and that damage is for life. To maintain nerve functioning and keep SACD more or less in partial remission I have to take a full range of vitamins. I will never get over the inability to use folic acid, folinic acid or veggie folates. That appears genetic. So does the specific need for l-carnitine fumarate. The meds I remain on are pain meds, Levothyroxine and testosterone . I just had a shingles vaccination and this years flu vaccine. Oh yes, I also was able to stop Provigil 10 years ago as well when my sleep disorders went away. I was also able to stop 2400mg of ibuprofen a day when the inflammation was gone. I went from $1500/month pharmacy bill to $50/month pharmacy bill.

I was grumpy for 30 years of methyltrap or partial methylation block. It was part of the CNS b12 and folate deficiency. We (at another forum) called the irritable grumpy mood "Mr. Hyde as opposed to the good natured kindly Dr. Jeckyl. It can come and go with the ACTIVE B12s, LCF and methylfolate.
That is great! You've had to do a lot of work to get where you are. I hope I have the strength to keep up to see this through. I have a 17 year old son that is really going through some tough times and I really think his brain chemicals are out of whack. If I could just get him straight, it would take the stress from me and allow me to feel better.

@a1wvbrew You might find the GAPS diet helpful. It's more than just dairy and gluten free. I've been on the diet nearly 2 years now. For me it's an extremely limited diet, as I've got sulfur and histamine intolerances. I never would have figured out that I was reacting to these foods if I'd not already been eating so few foods, and so could track these symptoms. There are many blogs and forums. cheers, ahmo
I've tried the GAPS diet, and it works pretty well. I just can't have the dairy. Most of the time I try to keep bone broth as it is very soothing and gives me some nutrients. I need to keep my weight up if I can. I don't want to lose any that's for sure. I'm rail thin now.
Is it the CBS mutation that controls the sulfur issue? I think the UAA test is what they want to test for this. Correct? I don't have the info in front of me to check. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I probably should.