• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lets get the world aware of the severely ill with ME who won't be able to join in Xmas festivities t

Cinders66

A Christmas Message from Emily Collinridge, author of The Essential Severe ME Handbook

(Written a few years ago by the late Emily Collingridge but still needed today. Lets get the world aware of the severely ill with ME who won't be able to participate in most or any Christmas festivities this year)
A Christmas Message from Emily Collinridge, author of The Essential Severe ME Handbook

I'm hoping you will help me with something simple. Let's get severe ME in people's hearts and minds this Christmas.

Christmas is such a happy, fun time for most people. Hearing what it is like for those with severe ME is likely to make a huge impact on those who've never been in that position (even those with mild or moderate ME) and being reminded of such things will touch the hearts of those who've recovered. So let's use Christmas to get more help and support for people with severe ME.

Let's spread a powerful message as far as we can throughout the internet. Please post the following anywhere you can think of; forum discussion boards, blogs, Facebook groups, your Facebook status - literally anywhere and everywhere:

(Permission to repost)

It's that time of year again: time to write cards, buy presents and choose party outfits... time to celebrate Christmas.

Thousands of people, however, won't be well enough to celebrate.

Imagine not being able to wish your friends "Merry Christmas" because you can't speak, not being able to open the gifts you've been given because you're too weak, not being able to have the Christmas tree lights on because they leave you feeling desperately ill, not being able to eat roast turkey, Christmas pud or chocolates because you're unable to swallow (and too nauseous anyway), not being able to kiss under the mistletoe because you're in too much pain to have someone close to you - imagine spending Christmas Day lying in a dark, silenced bedroom whilst your family enjoy the festivities downstairs.

That's what Christmas is like for those with severe ME.

Want to do something to help them?

It's easy. Just take simple steps to support the promotion of the highly acclaimed book "Severe ME/CFS: A Guide to Living" (www.severeME.info). It is "the book every patient with severe ME has been looking for" says Vikki George, patient. The more widely it's publicised, the more help and support sufferers will get.

Click on the link below for details of what to do - it will take only a few minutes of your time.

And if you're a Facebook user: please, please use this message for your status. Give people struggling with severe ME the gift of public understanding by highlighting the pain and suffering that will be depriving them of Christmas.

http://www.stonebird.co.uk/contributors.html#christmas

Cheesus

I liked the passage, but I would rather it ended with a plea for donations to research rather than the promotion of a book. I might post it, but if I do I will almost certainly edit that part.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i think, ppl feeling ill should not kissing other ppl

or say it at least "im ill, nobody knows what it is, but im going to kiss you now"

Last edited by a moderator:

Cinders66

I liked the passage, but I would rather it ended with a plea for donations to research rather than the promotion of a book. I might post it, but if I do I will almost certainly edit that part.

Of course. I copied it verbatim in respect to Emily Collingridge's memory. It was written around 2011 just after the book was released I think (not for profit) and letting people struggling know it It was a resource understandably was a priority for Emily the author. In today's world funding for research is vitally needed too and Emily, in an appeal she wrote, was calling for that also.
I basically thought the fundamental message of letting the world know of the sad, dark, hidden & needy side of ME at Christmas - a time of general celebrations & charity - was one still very much needing to get out there.

Cheesus

I basically thought the fundamental message of letting the world know of the sad, dark, hidden & needy side of ME at Christmas - a time of general celebrations & charity - was one still very much needing to get out there.

Absolutely.