1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Let's Explore Other SNP's (APOE Status, Liver pathways etc) Feel free to add!

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Calico13, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    You simply can't do that. You have to read the results to see which allele is the risk allele. If you guess, you're going to be wrong about 50% of the time :p
  2. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    What results? Is there some other reference on snpDB that indicates 'risk' allele or helps determine risk allele?
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yes, it usually links to research papers written about the SNP if there is any. On the gene's chromosome map near the top of the page, if there's any research linked to it there will be a light blue box on the green line showing the current SNP. If you hover over the box, it gives a list with links to the pubmed abstracts.

Then you have to read the abstracts or full papers to find out which allele is the risky one.
    roxie60 likes this.
  4. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Here's another one I'd like to know about: ATP5c1. I was reading about this gene making the gamma unit which spins in the ATP synthase complex. My ATP5c1 is full of mutations.

ATP5c1 rs2778475 A AG +/-
    ATP5c1 rs1244414 T CT +/-
    ATP5c1 rs1244422 T TT +/+
    ATP5c1 rs12770829 T CC
    ATP5c1 rs4655 C CC +/+
    I've always had a slow metabolism (being active, my calorie intake is about 350 calories below what my practitioner says is my basal metabolism rate - what I would burn by sleeping 24/7 - when my weight is stable.) I wonder if it's connected. I'm still stronger than most people, too. So many mysteries!
  5. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    ATP5c1 rs2778475 A AG +/-
    ATP5c1 rs1244414 T CC -/-
    ATP5c1 rs1244422 T CT +/-
    ATP5c1 rs12770829 T CT +/-
    ATP5c1 rs4655 C CT +/-

My understanding so far is if one is heterozyg that the genes may or may not be turned in in a fashion that causes health issues but that an event (health, stress, other) can turn on the negative impact of the hetero gene but it may still not be known the amount of impact.

See more popular forum discussions.