• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lets discuss the fight or flight adrenal gland.....

Tired of being sick

I believe this is my only gland that not only works WELL, but it gives me superhuman strength..

I mean above an average healthy person,however I crash hard afterward..
All through my life I experienced this adrenaline and I can activate it at will by debating/arguing/near death experiences where i had to react with lighting quick reflexes or I would have been dead countless times
and believe me when this adrenaline kicks in at 20 times above and beyond what any medication could do, how ever physically it can only last a few seconds but that is all I need, however the debating/arguing can last for hours........

It is almost like I go through life on idle storing the adrenalin for when I will need it subconsciously..

I know that's deep and sounds crazy but it is true to my life experiences..

How about you all?

I guess what I'm saying is, getting into heated arguments or heavy researching my illness takes my symptoms away for the moment..

I guess because researching gives me hope........

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I experience and have always experienced this that you describe. I don´t know if it has to do with getting adrenal fatigue or is something independent that some healthy people also display. Always thought of it like the strong will bursts that anime characters show when they are seemingly defeated.

My family always uses the fact that I can ALWAYS get into a heated quarrel to critique the whole disease make-believe stuff. For them someone ill shouldn´t have force to discuss anything, and it makes sense. However most of the time I am drained or pained, it i just that can get into that burning phase when I feel like it is critical. I call it burning phase because perhaps when we do this we are actually depleting further our energy stores and it played a role in us getting sick.

I used to be an adrenaline junky but now it just sort of leaks out. Maybe because I have to use it all to get my heart rate up to get blood to my brain when standing.

Allyson

Yes it s the basis of POTS/OI - and is and what makes us crash afterwards IMHO
adrenalin also causes muscles to tense......hence stiff aching mucles
and pupils to dilate - hence photophobia
enhances sensitivity to noise and smells - full survival mode

Ally

Tired of being sick

This song is more of an Adrenaline rise through the roof fight song!

These lyrics pump enough Adrenaline through my veins to make the hair rise on my entire body!
And takes the pain and symptoms away from my sickness for a brief amount of time better than any medications have done for me..

Oh yes,nothing like the POWER of music!

"The Confessor"

If you look at your reflection in the bottom of a well,
What you see is only on the surface.
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath,
The measure of the depth can be deceiving.
The bottom has a rocky reputation

You can feel it in the distance the deeper down you stare.
From up above it's hard to see, but you know when you're there.
On the bottom words are shallow.
On the surface talk is cheap.
You can only judge the distance by the company you keep
In the eyes of the Confessor.

In the eyes of the Confessor,
There's no place you can hide.
You can't hide from the eyes (of the Confessor)
Don't you even try.
In the eyes of the Confessor
You can't tell a lie,
You cannot tell a lie (to the Confessor)
Strip you down to size,
Naked as the day that you were born,
Naked as the day that you were born.

Take all the trauma, drama, comments,
The guilt and doubt and shame
The "what ifs" and "if onlys"
The shackles and the chains
The violence and aggression,
The pettiness and scorn,
The jealousy and hatred,
The tempest and discord,
AND GIVE IT UP

ahmo

Living on adrenaline eventually contributed to my collapse w/ ME/CFS. Now, 11 years on, I'm healing. During the past months I've had a major clearing of my adrenals, and for the first time in my life my temperament is no longer defined by irritability, agitation, low threshold for frustration. I've become cheerful, calm, resourceful, resilient. No more over-active fight-or-flight response. I used to use music very much as a support. I no longer use any stimulants or relaxants, including the use of music in this way. I am so very :):balloons:

Allyson

Living on adrenaline eventually contributed to my collapse w/ ME/CFS. Now, 11 years on, I'm healing. During the past months I've had a major clearing of my adrenals, and for the first time in my life my temperament is no longer defined by irritability, agitation, low threshold for frustration. I've become cheerful, calm, resourceful, resilient. No more over-active fight-or-flight response. I used to use music very much as a support. I no longer use any stimulants or relaxants, including the use of music in this way. I am so very :):balloons:

yes I found a POTS diagnosis and treating that aspect gives my adrenals a rest finally
Ally