• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Let's "adopt a sequence" (with funding) of an XMRV isolate!

Is this "adopt a sequence" idea a good one?

• Yes this is a capital idea!

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No, we should spend our energy for (Make a Thread)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
R

Robin

From Cort's main page where he interviewed Mikovits:

Those Negative studies - the negative studies have had an impact. Doors that were pretty open aren't closed yet but it appears that projects outside of the WPI that were going to pretty quickly gear up have been put on hold until the dust settles. The WPI is in kind of a strange situation; they have lots of work to do - more work than ever - yet, until XMRV is validated they'll have difficulty getting big federal grants they need. Private donations of the magnitude that they probably need, are difficult to come by in this economy. Money from the diagnostic tests is certainly helping but the research is very expensive and what they need are grants and clinical trials. Six months after the Science paper they have not received ANY federal funding. Dr. Mikovits noted that the federal government was spending billions of dollars on HIV, which affects less than 1 million people in the country yet the NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases), the huge pathogen Institute at the NIH, has done absolutely nothing but XMRV.

source: http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx

Let's keep trying to give as much as we can!

citybug

Can we get a total from Global X Action Network? Here in the first days we had $233 listed in new donations listed and $260 promised through end of year, plus amounts going through Global Action on Facebook. There may have been more that wished privacy.

leaves

I just donated again, as I think they REALLY need the money now. I also send an email to some family members asking them to donate money for WPI.
I am also thinking to maybe sell old stuff at ebay and then donate the proceeds... Other ideas for raising money?

Frickly

Yea!....Leaves! I am upping my monthly donation. I am really worried that they will not be able to support the research that is needed. Please everyone...give what you can. Now is the time.

Advocate

Hi leaves & frickly,

Just wanted you to know that I also donated again today, at your urging and the urging of Dr. Deckoff-Jones.

Advocate

Today IS ANNETTE WHITTEMORE'S B-DAY!

II.) Thanks everyone, please PM me if you think the title post is not including any important information (Dr. Mikovits quotes, Explanation, Donation Links, etc.). I tried to make it thorough but don't want it to be overwhelming.

Also today is Annette Whittemore's birthday! Annette is of course the founder and CEO of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute. :balloons: :balloons:

So today is an especially auspicious day for anyone who wants to start donating. Remember everyone, we might not be here today if Defreitas's Research (she found a retrovirus in ME/CFS patients in the early 1990s... yeah that long ago...) funding hadn't fell through... We can't do anything about that past event but we can contribute at the present, as a post I read reminded me :Retro smile:

Also even if you don't want to give out amounts I encourage you to post in the thread and mention it--as this way everyone else donating feels like part of a team and not as if they are acting alone.

Kati

Patient in training
Happy birthday Annette! Just gave a lil something to help out WPI and also to say thank you for your hard work!

Frickly

Thanks Advocate, Ya Kati! I agree with Leaves, I think they really need the money now. I am trying to think of something more we can do on xmrvglobalaction to encourage donations. Our little group is not feeling well right now so if anyone has suggestion please let me know.