1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Leptin

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Apr 16, 2014.

1. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Again, from the article:
    So how can individuals with low body fat have high leptin levels?
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Dunno. Maybe someone else does!
  3. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    I agree with several of the points MeSci made and would like to add a couple of my own.

Unless I am brain fogged and have misunderstood. To me thus seems a bit suspect as a causal issues (Etiology) rather than just part of the Pathophysiology (chain reaction from the cause). Firstly when I first got ME rather than lack of appetite it went nuts, I was eating for six, not putting on weight and had bugger all energy. That would be consistent with low leptin.

Next (MeSci understands this better and may correct me) - A shift AWAY from the Th1 immune system and to the Th2 seems to have common agreement. My reading of the article was that Leptin created more Th1 cells.

As MeSci pointed it a 60% correlation is not strong enough for this to be the central issue wih ME - Howard's mito-function test has a MUCH stronger correlation than that. Like the mito test however it would also only be useful to show level of illness For example, my mum was far less ill on Chemotherapy than I am with ME, and the Mito test reflects that comparison. It also shows a strong correlation between results and levels of fatigue and even with ME-light fatigue markedly different results to the normal population.

However I suspect very low Leptin early in the illness and if that view is correct Leptin would measure us as 'over-fit' when we are more ill than the general population.

If it is correct though any severe illness would raise leptin, hence like the Mito test, it would not be a unique bio-marker for ME but a marker of serous illness.

Personally my appetite is "manic-depressive" and Sheppard lists "Pathological hunger" referring to this volatility as an ME symptom.

See more popular forum discussions.