• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lengthy article on the NCI website about XMRV origin

dipic

Nice disinfo propaganda the NCI are putting out. It's too bad they can't fool the educated patients and scientists.

You are part of a cluster? do you mind my asking where you are?

hi justin,

sorry this took so long; i was away from home a couple of days.

i'm in N California, about two hours from Tahoe/Reno.

you & i spoke a few months ago, re your University cohort. nothing new on my end.

best wishes.

Rich -

My sister and I got sick around the same time. I got bit by a tick upon becoming ill and had several bacterial infections, so my case was much more severe. I lived in Tahoe when I got sick. She lived in L.A. We both ended up ill when we met for Thanksgiving. Younger brother displayed similar symptoms for a while and had a few ER visits from the same type of symptoms. However, I think he recovered.

Is it still going around Tahoe? Perhaps very slowly, but I think so. I have an impression that the Tahoe illness is generally more severe, but perhaps that's my bias.

hello kday, first i need to clear up that i was quoting from richvank's post earlier up in this thread, where he was suggesting to look for something "infectious & contagious" (you can go back to his post for the details).

i was just saying that this illness _is_ infectious and contagious, and especially the cohort i am exposed to: the stuff that was in the Tahoe area in the early '80s. that i have seen it spread and have no doubt about it, and that it's distressing to see how our agencies charged with stopping this dangerous threat instead only ignore it and seem to just hope its' true impact won't ever be fully accepted.

very sorry if you are in this group of severely ill people, and regret that i can't offer any real hope for you getting better. my experience says otherwise. actually, if you do have the Tahoe version of this illness, and you say your brother recovered, that is unlikely imo. how much do you communicate? it is progressive, taking a worse toll with time, and recovery hasn't ever lasted long term that i know. i would say each individual might have some natural genetic ability to fight it, but it's going to end up at some point getting the upper hand. maybe your brother is lucky to have some natural ability to slow the progress, but then i would think you & your sister will, too.

so if you recall a tick bite, have you explored Lyme? (probably so) otherwise, i'm convinced about the viral source / you could have been exposed to the viral onset, and also have rec'd a tick bite that didn't affect you. (?)

kday, i don't don't about what's going on directly in the Tahoe basin these days, but this illness has spread far beyond there, as you know. the prevalence in the Tahoe area probably is concentrated there as much as it is everywhere else now.