• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN - mode of action is concernring

globalpilot

Hi all,
I wanted to learn a little more about how LDN works. I found a book online on google books that describes how endorphins affect the immune system

http://books.google.az/books?id=zqj...&resnum=5&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Reading the 1st paragraph on page 646 it appears beta endorphins (which are stated to rise when using LDN) do the following:

- stimulate t lymphocyte production
- increase NK cell cytotoxicity
- stimulates IL10 secretion from Th2 lymphocytes
- inhibit th1 lymphocyte and dendritic cell function which lower IL2 and IL12 respectively

Since teh third action is very antiinflammatory I wonder if this treatment is helpful mainly due to reducing inflammation such as in crohns and MS.

If I'm reading this correctly th1 function will be suppressed. And dendritic cells function in the gut amongst other places so suppression of these will not be good for those who already have an overgrowth.

I myself have been on LDN for a month and have not found it benefiical (it is early I know) and have been more tired. After learning the above I am thinking it may not be a good thing for some of us.