Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

LDN - how's it working for you?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by jace, May 26, 2010.

?

I've been on LDN for...

1. Less than a month - it seems good

12.1%
  2. Less than a month - it's not nice

13.9%
  3. 1 - 3 months - feeling much better

6.7%
  4. 1 - 3 months - some good, some bad

6.7%
  5. 1 - 3 months - feeling worse but hanging in there

3.0%
  6. 3 - 12 months - it's great

10.3%
  7. 3 - 12 months - not sure it's working for me

9.1%
  8. 1 year and more - this stuff works for me

13.9%
  9. 1 year and more - not sure it's worth it

3.0%
  10. I used to take it but I gave up

21.2%
  1. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    Low Dose Naltrexone is still naltrexone. naltrexone is an opioid antagonist. like the opposite of an opioid, if that helps you understand. It probably simulates mild opioid withdrawal, since it's blocking your endorphins from binding to opioid receptors to some extent. emphasis on to some extent, since it's low dose naltrexone, what should happen is that your opioid receptors upregulate to compensate, thus causing you to be more sensitive to endorphins. This is all very approximate so I wouldn't find it odd to feel like shit for the first few days and then start feeling better, even hypomanic.

JeanneD likes this.
  2. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    LDN probably also has effects on TLR4 receptors which are responsible for immune response and inflammatory cytokine release, so that's another thing I left out. sorry, very tired and brain foggy.

JeanneD likes this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    Even a difference of 0.5 in dosage can make things better or worse.
    We ran out of the 1mg pills so my gf has been on 1.5 for the past 2 nights and she had trouble sleeping, that's completely opposite to the effect 1mg has, which drastically improves her sleep!

2Cor.12:9 likes this.
  4. 2Cor.12:9

2Cor.12:9 Senior Member

That's been my experience too. I've been on LDN 2 years, got up to 4 mg and had to back down to 1 mg. I've been on 1 mg for a year and its perfect. Tried going off and within 2 weeks I could hardly move from pain and stiffness.

flitza and JeanneD like this.
  5. confetti11

confetti11 Senior Member

Thanks @debored13 @Thinktank @2Cor.12:9 for your input. I really appreciate it. From everyone's input, there seems to be a point where the body says "nope" and you have to work the dose up to move past that.

I guess I wouldn't have been surprised at all (because I can be extremely sensitive to things) if I hadn't taken this drug seemingly without incident before.

I think things may be dying down except....is there any reason why this stuff would stir up gastritis? I only took about 5 doses before I stopped the first time (2.25 and 4.5) and then a few days after I stopped...the burning and burping started and it's still going on about 2 weeks later. I hope this just clears up on its own. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. I feel like a whack a mole of symptoms.

6. Nickster

Nickster Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    LDN has been helpful for my son Nick. It helps him with the fibro type pain. He takes 1.5 twice a day for the last year and a half.

7. JES

JES Senior Member

I did notice an increase in acid reflux symptoms, which I think is due to increased stomach acid from this drug. This acid reflux increase came even when I was careful and started with 1 mg. But thankfully, as I wrote, it went away after around 2 weeks, probably my body adjusted to the drug in that time. I would be more concerned about other symptoms than stomach symptoms, stomach symptoms are a common side effect of many medications. I get them myself almost on every second drug/herb I trial.

8. JeanneD

JeanneD Senior Member

My daughter and I got this in the very beginning. Our doctor advised us to take the LDN at bedtime so we would be asleep during those symptoms. There's a biochemical reason why that happens and why it only lasts a few hours in many cases, but I've forgotten what it is in the ensuing years. Something about temporarily blocking certain receptors, perhaps?

[ETA: I see @debored13 explained it above "...it's blocking your endorphins from binding to opioid receptors to some extent. emphasis on to some extent..."]

Taking it at night worked like a charm. No more uncomfortable side effects.

We were also told that the dark emotional sensation is a sign (in most, not all, cases) that the dose is too large for the stage of adjustment. In other words, back down and increase much more slowly.

Anyway, I just kept taking it at night for years because why not? When the doc recently upped the dose, I needed to split it, so now I take the additional dose in the morning and have none of the uncomfortable side effects. Again, I'm increasing dose very slowly -- 0.1mg every day or two, starting at 0.1mg.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  9. JeanneD

JeanneD Senior Member

I could not tolerate that much of a dose change that suddenly! This med requires slow increases in most PWME. Some people can do great on 1.5mg and do poorly on 1.7 mg even after a long (non)adjustment period. Dosing seems very sensitive in some people.

Where are you getting 1mg pills? Where I am the minimum is 10mg and the LDN has to be compounded to get the lower doses.

10. confetti11

confetti11 Senior Member

@JeanneD that's interesting, thank you! I stopped it for now but will pick it up very small amounts at a time when I get a chance.

Do you guys this this drug could do weird things to your cycle? I'm supposed to be menopausal (somewhere in that process) and I feel like I almost had a mini period this month, with some premenstrual symptoms and everything. I haven't had that for a while.

11. JeanneD

JeanneD Senior Member

Also menopausal and had no menstrual symptoms. Neither did my daughter who is child-bearing age. Can you be more specific about the premenstrual symptoms? They might be related to ldn.

There are several reasons for post-menopausal spotting/bleeding unrelated to LDN. They are not particularly uncommon in the earlier stages like endometrial hyperplasia. It might bear checking into if it persists.

12. confetti11

confetti11 Senior Member

@JeanneD
    Not overly worried about it at this point. I've had spotting all through this time because of HRT, but this time, it mimicked more like a period. No subtle way to put it...my boobs hurt.

13. JeanneD

JeanneD Senior Member

Nope, nothing subtle about menstrual and premenstrual symptoms. :p Can't say either of us had that particular uncomfortable symptom. Sounds like a progesterone thing, but who knows?

See more popular forum discussions.