Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

LDN and Glutamate.

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Ema, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I started LDN because I thought it would help decrease levels of glutamate in my brain. It is widely reported that LDN inhibits glial cells which produce glutamate on LDN pages.

Like this one:

http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/node/188

However, LDN increases levels of beta endorphins drastically...which have been shown to enhance glutamate neurotoxicity in the hypothalamus by disrupting the calcium balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11938958/?i=2&from=/10374630/related

How can both of these things be true? Any ideas?

2. musicfan50

musicfan50

NZ
    I don't know anything about LDN but - I just wondered if some of the people taking it found they had an increased sensitivity to MSG and foods containing glutamate? Because I made a mistake recently of taking straight flaxseed oil (simply because I had it) rather than a usual blended mix formula of EFAs (omegas 3,6,9) - and I got severely out of balance. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with cfs/me. Very badly disrupted sleep with big meals esp. with msg. I wonder if its the same kind of thing, by any chance.

3. Mor

Mor

I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking of trying LDN in the future, and would like the answer to your question.

Has LDN caused anxiety for anyone?

4. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I don't think it caused any anxiety for me, but I did suspect that it was increasing my neck pain. That's when I stopped taking it. I have read that there are lots of NMDA receptors in the neck, but would like to know more.

5. JES

JES Senior Member

LDN also blocks inflammation and reduces pain through antagonizing TLR4 receptor that regulates microglial activity (link), so it can also reduce anxiety, assuming that the anxiety is driven by inflammation in the brain. For me it perhaps increased anxiety slightly in day one and two, in long term it definitely helps me more than does damage.

6. Mor

Mor

I was wondering if the trouble sleeping that many have while on LDN was attributed to glutamate neurotoxicity?

7. JES

JES Senior Member

I doubt it, but I could be wrong. LDN has been reported to help in so many neurodegenerative conditions (Parkinsons, MS, etc.), I have never heard about anyone whose disease got worse from taking LDN. So I find it unlikely it would cause neurotoxicity to any significant degree, also bearing in mind that the 50 mg dosage is FDA approved for alcohol/drug dependence and the medication is perfectly safe even in that dosage.

8. Mor

Mor

I found this:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-on-ldn-and-just-push-through-it.42666/

Also 50mg wouldn't seem safe for someone with CFS.

Overall I think it's possible that the anxiety (likely causing the lack of sleep) may be glutamate related.

See more popular forum discussions.