• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN and anesthesia ???

SDSue

Southeast
Does anyone have experience with the following:

- How far in advance one must discontinue use of LDN (low dose naltrexone) prior to surgical procedures?
- How soon after procedure or pain-killer use can one resume LDN?
- Does one have to go back to beginning dose (1.5 mg) , or can one start back up at current dose (4.5 mg)?

Thanks so much.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@SDSue

I was looking for my pre-colonoscopy notes (which of course I can't find!) but I remember that they told me to stop LDN only a day or two before the anaesthesia. For me, LDN doesn't last long in my system. Since the problem with LDN and surgery is that it blocks opiod receptors, if you are prescribed any drugs of that class after surgery, you would not want to be taking LDN.

Otherwise, as far as I've been told, there is no problem resuming it the day after surgery. Stopping for a few days and starting at the same dose doesn't bother me, but then I've been taking if for a few years. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Sushi

alex3619

Post surgery I would still not take LDN until after you are off strong opioids. LDN is LOW dose, that is the point, which means that even on it strong pain medication will work, but not as effectively. High dose N is different though. So opioids should work if you should suddenly find yourself needing opioids, but not as well. The real issue is that it doesn't make sense to block opioids if you are taking opioids.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
As a point of interest there is a rather new pain med on the market called targin which is a slow release oxycodone and a low dose of naloxone. Naloxone is similar to naltrexone ie reverses the effects of narcotics and is commonly used in narcotic overdoses causing respiratory depression etc. The naltrexone dose is quite low and not strong enough to affect the pain relieving effects of narcotics. The addition of naltrexone one would think would be counter productive but as i have mentioned it has minimal effects on the pain relieving qualities but it is added to the medication because it has a local effect on the GI system and reducing common side effects of narcotics such as constipation.

This was after a conversation i had with a drug rep, so my explanation may not be 100%. But i mentioned this just to show show an example that it may be possible to continue with LDN while on pain medications or surgery etc but obviously this would have to be talked over with your doctor. It may work out cheaper to use LDN and a pain killer then to buy the targin pain killer itself too or an alternative to someone who requires pain relief but gets severe constipation from narcotics??