The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Laws/Huda - The harms of psychotherapy: are BME and LGBT communities more at risk?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by worldbackwards, Apr 27, 2016.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    This is an article on harms caused to patients with anxiety and depression, but I think there are some wider resonances here.

Obviously, they type of harms in administering CBT for ME would be different than in psychiatric illnesses, but it does make an interesting point, that psychiatric research is already set up to avoid these questions: harms simply don't enter the discussion.

http://www.nationalelfservice.net/t...py-are-bme-and-lgbt-communities-more-at-risk/

Sean, Battery Muncher, erin and 11 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

This is something I have often wondered about in relation to ME patients. We have all heard about those who just get to the point where they cannot cope anymore. In all the rush for funding for mental health interventions for just about anything these days, why not research the harms that can be done?

I'm thinking particularly in regard to:

1 - those with ME who underwent CBT designed to address abnormal illness beliefs. Did any find that this was the straw that broke the camel's back for them in terms of their mental health? Did any of them later avoid mental health professionals although they could have used the support?

2 - those who just avoided mental health professional altogether - even though the support might have helped them - because they were afraid of inappropriate interventions (such as our old friend: abnormal illness beliefs)?

I think it would be valuable to know how many people either died or had their quality of life significantly reduced by either of the above.

Is it the case for some that, instead of being an additional means of available support, mental health is just another brick in the wall of our suffering and isolation?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

I thought I would take the opportunity to plug my open access paper:

* I gave each sentence in the Abstract its own paragraph, to make it easier to read

http://iacfsme.org/PDFS/Reporting-of-Harms-Associated-with-GET-and-CBT-in.aspx

4. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

@Tom Kindlon maybe your paper deserves its own thread?

ETA: I started a new thread here.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the greater the difference in beliefs & cultural values there is, the more likely it is that harm is done.

In the case of ME/CFS, lots of therapists are actively trained to hold beliefs about the illness which are not supported by the evidence, or widely shared by patients. It's difficult to believe that is a good idea.

6. Invisible Woman

I had a rather lively discussion with a doctor about exercise and GET etc. a few years back. He didn't believe that GET was particularly helpful nor did he think that any ME/CFS patients he saw had a primary psych disorder. Our area of disagreement was around whether GET could actually cause harm. I maintained it could and he reckoned there was simply no evidence to support this.

I went away and printed off a copy of @Tom Kindlon's paper and sent it to him. He was intrigued and found it very informative.

So, a belated thank you, Tom!

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

8. Invisible Woman

...and that is what they are counting on. Even if your doc is ambivalent towards the PACE-type CBT and GET model they may push patients towards it as it's "the only game in town". I don't believe that the NICE guidelines give advice about the risks - please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about that.

So the doc may not be aware of the true risk of harm. The patient (who may know no better) will not be fully informed of the risks. If the patient is reluctant to try CBT/GET they may well be told that if they really wanted to get better they would try anything/everything. This reluctance to try treatments may then become a barrier to gaining the benefits or support they need & so they become the "undeserving sick".

What a stitch up!

Valentijn and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.