• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lavender Essential Oil- Reduces Cortisol and Oxidative Stress

Mij

I bought myself an Aroma Stone and Lavender essential oils for Christmas since reading that this may in fact reduce stress hormones, cortisol and oxidative stress.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17291597

I don't know if I have high cortisol levels but my Oxidative Stress test I took years ago showed very elevated and poor antioxidant status.

I've been burning oils (Lavender and Sweet Marjarom) every evening and have developed quite a headache/nauseous feeling which I don't normally have. Hmm what could this be?? I don't suffer from MCS or anything like that.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Mij

Mij

I have taken various antioxidants over the years, including lipo Vit C. Presently I'm taking l acetyl carnitine and R+ liopic acid and trying to get as much nutrients in my diet.

Not sure what my antioxidant status is at now since I won't be getting retested.

I thought the lavender essential oil study was interesting.

Mij

ukxmrv

Thanks Mij, I have very low cortisol as do many PWCFS. I guess we should avoid lavendar especially in the mornings when it is very low.

Smelling Lavendar oil has been demonstrated to reduce cortisol levels in healthy adults. There is no indication in any study I have ever come across, ever, to suggest that just because something reduces cortisol levels in healthy adults (a good thing) that it will dangerously lower cortisol levels in adults suffering from corticosteroid insufficiency (what ukxmrv was talking about)

In fact a lot of the things that lower cortisol in healthy people are especially important for people with corticoid insufficiency to do: Meditation, getting lots of sleep, keeping even blood sugar levels, relaxation exercises (including aromatherapy), deep breathing, taking naps, reduced caffeine intake -- all of those things are demonstrated to lower cortisol levels in healthy people, because they reduce the bodies NEED for cortisol ... something that PWCFS, especially those with corticosteroid insufficiency could benefit hugely from.

While I would certainly caution anyone with corticoid insufficiency from taking pharmacological substances that lower cortisol levels - because we don't always understand why they are lowering cortisol - It is beyond silly to avoid an effective relaxation technique like aromatherapy just because it has been shown to reduce stress hormone levels in healthy people.

As for your headaches - maybe additives or preservatives in the oil? I could see inhaling chemical additives causing head aches. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that an essential oil manufacturer was including stuff that wasn't on the label.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I love lavendar and rose soaps. I spray lavendar in the air and put some lavendar balm on my wrists at night. So calming and smells great.

Nico

The one contra-indication I've read is that Lavender can trigger seizures in those suffering from seizure disorder/epilepsy. Glad it is helping you.... :)