Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Laura Hillenbrand interview with NYTimes

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Nielk, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

The Unbreakable Laura Hillenbrand - By WIL S. HYLTONDEC. 18, 2014

Contimue reading HERE.

NK17, allyann, Roy S and 18 others like this.
  2. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    Did anyone watch the NBC special last week about Unbroken? Tom Brokaw interviewed Laura Hillenbrand, and did mention her health, but did not use the word CFS. Described her as having disabling vertigo and "profound fatigue." (I think I'm remembering that phrase right). Overall very sympathetic to her, but interesting how her illness was characterized. And let's face it, Angelina Jolie star of that show...J

3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Without knowing details or making any assumptions, it is possible that this was her choice. When I tell people that I have a viral reactivation of EBV which causes me severe autonomic problems (with heart rate, BP, breathing, etc), they say, "Oh my God, I am so sorry, how can I help?" versus saying "CFS" no one really knows or understands what it means and just thinks you are tired or sleepy. So I am hoping the media is portraying her as she wants to be portrayed. I was saddened to read in the article that she and her husband, Borden, separated after 28 years together :cry:.

ebethc likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    That's a very long article! It's an interesting read. I didn't know anything about Laura previously, including how incredibly successful her books are. I knew they were well-known, but I didn't know that she had sold such a huge number. Like many of us, she's been bed-bound at times, home-bound at times, and slightly improved at times.

Nielk likes this.
  5. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I love Laura Hillenbrand, her courage and heroism, and her great books which have such power and depth. She is an anomaly in today's world, valuable and telling in all her contrast to it. I feel as though her achievement is every bit as great as Seabiscuit's and Zamperini's. This is the same care I feel for everyone with a tremendous struggle, who remains honest on the course.

NK17, SickOfSickness, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  6. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for this Nielk. It's a really good piece, well researched and understanding. It describes how the illness has such a profound effect on the way she lives and works, and avoids the a lot of the lazy traps journos can fall into with these things. Long read, but worth it.

Bob likes this.
  7. allyann

allyann Senior Member

Melbourne Australia
    Great article! I have read it now a couple of times.

Bob likes this.
  8. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
  9. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Great article. Thanks.

10. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Did anyone post this before?
    [​IMG]

Valentijn, JCamp, beaker and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.