• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Laura Hillenbrand Interview on Face The Nation

Gemini

Video of the interview will be posted later I believe on the CBS website.

As we wait for the video to be posted for those not familiar with the show--

"Face The Nation"
it's one of the longest running news programs in the history of television & has ~3 million viewers.

Covers the latest issues: typical guests are government leaders, politicians & international figures in the news.

I was struck by the fact Laura's interview begins with a discussion of ME.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
CBS have placed the full video onto YouTube as well:

Excellent! That should archive it for us. Now we have another great resource to refer "doubting friends" to. Much more comprehensible for people than medical information that they can't understand.

Thank you Laura Hillenbrand for being a brave spokesperson--both for the illness itself and talking about the creative ways we have to work around our disabilities.

Sushi

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
She did a great job of bringing awareness to ME/CFIDS. I hope people pay attention to this interview. I appreciate that she was able to talk so openly about her struggles. I think the fact that she mentions she was unable to leave the house for two years will help others understand just how serious this illness is.

Gingergrrl

I just watched the Laura Hillenbrand interview and thank you to @Bob for posting the You Tube link. To say she is extraordinary doesn't even begin to describe her. She had me tearful twice, both when she was talking about understanding suffering and the moment she parted with Louis Zamperini at the car and he said that he knew that the reason he lived so long was so he could meet her and she could tell his story (I am paraphrasing this of course.)

She also gave a good description of ME/CFS (although many of her symptoms differ from my own) but she expressed how debilitating it is in that she was too weak to walk to the car and did not leave her home for two years. I wish doctors and the general public could watch this video to see someone who was profoundly ill with the MEDICAL illness of ME/CFS but that it did not stop her from becoming a best selling author and inspiration to millions.

Ren

Is there someway to archive this? I'd hate to lose access to it.
Sushi

Snagit ("a screenshot program") seems pretty easy to use, and I believe you can test it out a few weeks (months?) before purchasing it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snagit

The recent (Dec 9?) Hillenbrand NBC video was archived at this website: https://archive.org/details/tv.

The CBS video in this thread, however, doesn't seem to be there yet. Maybe someone in our community can eventually add it? :) (I don't know how yet, but can slowly learn.)

Non-video/audio pages can also be added to archive.org. "The Internet Archive is working to prevent the Internet - a new medium with major historical significance - and other "born-digital" materials from disappearing into the past. Collaborating with institutions including the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian, we are working to preserve a record for generations to come..." https://archive.org/about/

Last edited:

Bob

Is there someway to archive this? I'd hate to lose access to it.
I'm not sure if this is still important for you, but there is an easy and free way to download YouTube videos to keep on your computer. Just enter the YouTube url, in the following website, and it will provide you with a video file to download:
http://keepvid.com/

(But I don't know if it's legally permitted for this video.)

NK17

Maybe a bit too loud and apparently off thread, but I can't resist to upload this super energetic version of a good old rock'n roll classic, Louie Louie, reinterpreted by Iggy Pop, in memory of Louie Zamperini.
Please abstain from watching/listening if you can't tolerate loud music ;).
Here you go Louie:

Forbin

I really empathize with her description of severe "vertigo." Of all the ME symptoms I've known, constant relentless "vertigo" has been the worst (but, then again, I've never been totally bedridden with the exhaustion of ME, just pretty much housebound by it at times). In my experience, there is nothing you can do to temper this kind of "vertigo."*

Strictly speaking, what she has described elsewhere - and what I've known - is a form of "dizziness;" a sensation that the body is constantly bobbing to-and-fro. "Vertigo," on the other hand, is a sensation that the room is spinning - like you might get after spinning in place. The form I've known produces some interesting visual effects, though, such as corridors and walls appearing tilted despite that fact that you're standing straight up. Some PWME's might experience true spinning vertigo, however. It might well depend on what part of the inner ear is affected (assuming that that's where false signals originate).

Needless to say, the constant sensation of losing your balance keeps you on edge. It's something the body/nervous system never acclimates to. It's too primal, I guess.

*[I did find one thing that sort of took the edge off - lying on a bench swing and letting it drift back and forth. It didn't help the "vertigo," but it gave it an acceptable "context," i.e. that you should feel motion while lying on a moving bench swing.]

Gemini

Excellent! That should archive it for us. Now we have another great resource to refer "doubting friends" to. Much more comprehensible for people than medical information that they can't understand.

Sent a "Thank You" this morning to Bob Schieffer via the CBS feedback form, Choose "Face The Nation"...

http://audienceservices.cbs.com/feedback/feedback.htm

And to Laura a huge Thank You!