Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Laura Hillenbrand in Elle, on CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JAH, Oct 22, 2014.

1. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    In my second Laura Hillenbrand mention this week on PR (and I'm not her publicist, or stalker), check out her article in Elle, where she talks movingly about her work and struggles with CFS,

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-f...drome-a-celebrated-authors-untold-tale-517101

Edit: thought this was new when I posted, but is was published in 2010 - sorry if you thought this was a new article (as I did!). Still relevant, touching, revealing...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    acouchy, WillowJ, CantThink and 9 others like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @JAH I just read the article and it is beautifully written and thank you for sharing it. I am so proud of Laura and all she has accomplished while being so ill. She is truly one of my heroes and I look forward to seeing her new movie some day.

catly, JAH, zzz and 2 others like this.
  3. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    An old article. She is so inspirational for me. We are the same age. Got sick the same time (year) and her husband .....BF from college stuck with her whereas mine of 7 years all through HS and college left due to my illness and I was not as ill as she. Anyway, she gives me such hope. And, I also love the band, The Smith's, just like her.

catly, JAH and zzz like this.
  4. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    It is old! Was posted on twitter today and I thought it was a new one...oh well. I got sick in spring of 1987 as well, so like you I have always related to her, and appreciate her, J

Gingergrrl and Misfit Toy like this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @JAH, I thought it was a new article, too, and had no idea! I was going to look for the magazine on the news stand LOL.

JAH likes this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Silver lining to everything, right? With brainfog, things that are old have a good chance of seeming new and fresh, whether re-reading or re-watching. I've watched movies, and in the following day or two, it dawns on me that I had actually watched it before. Pretty amazing. o_O:rolleyes: -- @JAH, thanks for posting. I'll look forward to reading it, either for the first time--or not. It'll seem fresh either way. ;)

7. CantThink

CantThink Senior Member

England, UK
    Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

Misfit Toy and Gingergrrl like this.
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    true! Thanks for posting :)

9. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois Prairie ❀❤✿Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿❤❀

Midwest, USA
    A good article remains a good article.

JAH, WillowJ and Gingergrrl like this.
  10. JAM

JAM Jill

Well, that brought on the water works. What an amazing article. Shows the horror of the disease, a woman who works through it, doesn't glorify it, or make her out to be a martyr. Thank you so much for sharing.

JAH, Gingergrrl and catly like this.
  11. Hate ME/CFS

Hate ME/CFS

Sacramento, California
    It's disappointing that Lauren HIlldebrand is a supporter of Solve CFS/ME. They a part of concerted effort to bury CFS patients even further with their support of the IOM and P2P.

12. JAM

JAM Jill

Can you point me in the direction of some info on this? I'm just now getting to the point where I can study the politics of the disease. Thanks!

Snowdrop and Gingergrrl like this.
  13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Maybe she does not know and some of these charities sound great on the surface until you research them more. By just hearing the names, I also do not know which are the good ones versus bad ones. Laura may be so focused on writing her books while being so ill, that she may not know. I cannot imagine any scenario where she would knowingly support a charity that would harm our cause.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  14. Hate ME/CFS

Hate ME/CFS

Sacramento, California
    The CAA, formerly know as CFIDS Assoc, helped Wm Reeves of the CDC attain whistleblower status. Also, the CAA doesn't even refer to our illness by its proper name, CFIDS.

15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    While you could study the politics of the disease, would you want to?

I prefer to stay out of it. Yes, not all groups see eye to eye, but it is better to have more eyes than less.

16. JAM

JAM Jill

I am very involved in community activism and politics is a big part of that. I enjoy it, even though it sometimes infuriates me. If we don't get involved we won't like the decisions made for us.

17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    That's not quite what I meant.
    Studying the politics is not the same thing as going out and speaking with your own voice (and ignoring the games that others are playing).

18. Hate ME/CFS

Hate ME/CFS

Sacramento, California
    I would trust the National CFIDS Association to be our voice, instead of Solve CFS, which self appointed themselves to speak for us. At least in my opinion.

19. JAM

JAM Jill

I meant literally studying the politics. I'm a graduate student who means "study" as a deep process of understanding the theories and practices behind the actions in a specific sphere. I think speaking before understanding the politics would be inefficient at best.

catly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.