1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Launch of the UK Research Collaborative

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by maryb, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    That's a great piece from ME Research UK, thanks, Sasha. And of course, the UK Respiratory Research Collaborative that enjoyed so much success was set up by Stephen Holgate too.

Firestormm and Battery Muncher like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Yes - he's said that that was his motivation for getting an ME one off the ground. A ten-fold increase in funding would be great! :)

Firestormm and Simon like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Two points of interest to me in this:

A bit nervous about this given you have to support the NICE guidelines/similar to be a member of BACME.

There were already clinicians from the NHS on the executive board so unsure if this was necessary.

Anyway, who knows, perhaps I have been looking too much on the negative and it could be beneficial.

I could imagine this conference will have a mix of research incl. some psychobabble. So again have mixed feelings about it.

5. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Discussing areas of concern, I think you missed something, Dolphin:

"EC has yet to invite an early career researcher to the Executive Board"

I might have misunderstood this, but if it is EC's responsibility to decide who is invited, I'm not very optimistic about this. I can't imagine her inviting an early-career researcher involved in cutting-edge biomedical research.

We've no idea how this project is going to pan out. It could be disastrous, but it could be transformational. I guess we'll find out in a couple of years or so.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm increasingly doubtful that any good will come of this. I doubt that much good will come from any CFS 'collaborations' when so many of those who have built their careers on CFS are quacks. So long as they're allowed to go on clinging to authority and money, things will only be able to progress very slowly.

ukxmrv, Jerry S and Valentijn like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Sean, Simon, Firestormm and 1 other person like this.
  8. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Minutes from the CMRC September 24th meeting can be downloaded here.

This includes a report on the conference, as well as plans to evaluate the conference:
    I was particularly interested in this

More about this approach in Stephen Holgate's talk to patients (video, plus slide show for a faster version). IT has the potential to move things onto a much bigger scale, and I hope it gets somewhere.

Encouraging, I think.

Sean, Valentijn, Bob and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.