• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Latest total for the microbediscovery project for ME/CFS

aimossy

From Facebook. I will copy and paste it here just as a reminder and for peoples interest.

New total update: $142,456 from 760 donations!
Thank you so much everyone :) Keep them coming they are adding up. ME/CFS Gut microbiome research is so needed! Get on board and make it happen.
Donate directly on Columbia University's secure site here:
www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin
To read about the project go to the dedicated website here:
www.microbediscovery.org

A.B.

Lipkin could do a reddit IAMA to attract some attention. Obama did it, as did Bill Gates. It's an easy way to let many people know about this project. How many? Probably many thousands.

Last edited:
Is he considering approaching the NIH for funding again, now that they've supposedly gotten rid of the psychobabbler(s) controlling the grant review process?

aimossy

Is he considering approaching the NIH for funding again, now that they've supposedly gotten rid of the psychobabbler(s) controlling the grant review process?

Are you querying that based on the Stanford article Valentijin? I will quote it below.

"And then there is the stigma associated with the condition; some NIH grant reviewers are reluctant to fund research because they believe that ME/CFS is a psychosomatic, “all in the head,” disorder. (To remedy this, the NIH recently created a special emphasis panel so that researchers familiar with the condition review grant applications.)"

I'm just wondering because I don't know if this has been substantiated yet. Does anyone know?

aimossy

Just for interest, also, here is a recent article about MS and the Gut microbiome from Scientific American.
It's interesting as 70% of people with MS have gut symptoms. I just think we really need to have an open mind about possible gut connections with the immune system. I mean you cannot really trash something that hasn't been discovered yet.It's a discussion article about some findings.
https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/could-multiple-sclerosis-begin-in-the-gut/

Here is the actual Scientific American Link.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rosis-begin-in-the-gut/?WT.mc_id=SA_syn_RDFRS

I thought it was quite well balanced in the discussion. Noting the importance but not over hyping.

Last edited:

A.B.

Wikipedia says:

IAmA and AMA
One of the most popular subreddits is IAmA ("I Am A") where a user may post "AMAs" (for "Ask Me Anything"), or similarly "AMAAs" ( for "Ask Me Almost Anything") – prompts for others to ask questions about any topic. AMAs are open to all Reddit users, and use the site's comment system for both questions and answers; it is similar to a press conference, but online. This subreddit was founded in May 2009.[22]

A number of notable individuals have participated in the IAmA subreddit, including President Barack Obama[23][24] (while campaigning for the 2012 election), Dave Grohl,[25] Madonna,[26] Chris Hadfield[27] (who answered questions from the International Space Station), Bill Gates,[28] Ron Paul,[29] Stephen Colbert,[30] Psy, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Maddow, Renée Fleming, M. Shadows, Louis C.K., Roger Federer, Larry King, Philip Zimbardo, Bill Nye,[31] Stan Lee, John Mather, David Copperfield, Paul Krugman, Danny Boyle, Al Gore, Roger Ebert, Michael Bolton, Gary Johnson, Lawrence Krauss, Jill Stein, Kevin Rudd, Julie Benz, [32] Amanda Palmer,[33] and Tim Ferriss.[34] As of April 2014, Barack Obama's AMA is the highest rated on the site;[35] the increased traffic brought down many parts of the website when the AMA occurred on August 29, 2012.[36]

Celebrities participating in IAmAs have seen both positive and negative responses. Woody Harrelson's[37] AMA was criticized after Harrelson declined to answer questions that were unrelated to the movie Rampart he was promoting.[38] In contrast, rapper Snoop Lion attracted 1.6 million page views[39] after conducting an AMA that provided several candid responses to the community's
questions.[40]

1.6 million page views sounds pretty good :)

aimossy

Lipkin could do a reddit IAMA to attract some attention. Obama did it, as did Bill Gates. It's an easy way to let many people know about this project. How many? Probably many thousands.

Would be great and so would a Q and A of some sort and probably depends on time. Ebola has taken over with respect to public health this year. Understandably.