The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Latest research confirming oxidative stress in ME/CFS.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Gamboa, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    Not something we didn't already know but it's always good to have confirmation. :thumbsup:

Med Sci Monit. 2011 Apr 1;17(4):SC11-15.

Increased plasma peroxides as a marker of oxidative stress in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Maes M, Kubera M, Uytterhoeven M, Vrydags N, Bosmans E.

Maes Clinics@TRIA, Thailand.

Abstract

Background: There is evidence that myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is characterized by activation of immune, inflammatory, oxidative and nitrosative stress (IO&NS) pathways.

The present study was carried out in order to examine whether ME/CFS is accompanied by increased levels of plasma peroxides and serum oxidized LDL (oxLDL) antibodies, two biomarkers of oxidative stress.

Material/Methods: Blood was collected from 56 patients with ME/CFS and 37 normal volunteers. Severity of ME/CFS was measured using the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FF) Rating Scale.

Results: Plasma peroxide concentrations were significantly higher in patients with ME/CFS than in normal controls. There was a trend towards significantly higher serum oxLDL antibodies in ME/CFS than in controls. Both biomarkers contributed significantly in discriminating between patients with ME/CFS and normal controls. Plasma peroxide and serum oxLDL antibody levels were both significantly related to one of the FF symptoms.

Conclusions: The results show that ME/CFS is characterized by increased oxidative stress.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  3. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

One of the major primary causes of POTS in patients - reduced catabolism of angiotensin II - results in part in increase oxidisive stress among other abnormalities. WOrth getting checked out for all CFS patients with POTS symptoms. Elevated angiotensin II levels = POTS

4. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    They found an effect but it's pretty weak and as they say you couldn't use these findings to reliably discriminate between ME/CFS and controls because the correlation is too small. Interesting, but less than conclusive.

See more popular forum discussions.